Written on the Body

by Jeanette Winterson | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0099193914 Global Overview for this book
Registered by estherase on 10/4/2003
Journal Entry 1 by estherase on Saturday, October 04, 2003
Bought in Oxfam- either to be read or released, depending on whether someone asks for it before I get 'round to reading it.

Journal Entry 2 by Robbiesmum from Thirsk, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 04, 2004
Great! Just arrived! Thank you, Estherase! I am studying this book on my literature course later this term - romance! When I've finished with it, I'll return it.

Arrived at 14.41 - Lancaster is already on Christmas post schedule.

Journal Entry 3 by Robbiesmum from Thirsk, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 25, 2004
I had my seminar on this book at the university today. It provoked an interesting discussion on the gender of the narrator, whether it matters on their gender, the romance and sex in the book, and the minor characters. I was most interested in Louise who was portrayed as an idyll at the beginning, but later, you learn she instigated the whole meeting with the narrator, and had in fact been following them around for weeks.

It was quite easy to get into once I was familiar with the author's style, and was enjoyable in following the narrator's thoughts about ex boyfriends and girlfriends. I hated the section on "the body". It didn't add anything to the actual style or structure for me, and i was glad when we returned to a story as such.

We also discussed the ambiguous ending which is one i'll take away with me.

Thank you very much, Estherase for lending this book to me. It was much appreciated, and I am enjoying contributing on the literature course. This is a book I never would have read, and I'm glad I did.

Journal Entry 4 by Robbiesmum at on Monday, March 14, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (3/14/2005 UTC) at

I'm releasing this either at the reception or the room I'll be in for the presentation.