The Boy in the Moon: A Father's Search for His Disabled Son

by Ian Brown | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingPooker3wing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 1/22/2012
Journal Entry 1 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, January 22, 2012
Received as a prize from CBC Books, for their short story contest on Twitter. YOU try writing a whole story in 140 characters or less! It was fun. :)

I enjoyed this book and although playful at times, it was not a "fun" read. It was thought provoking. So I will think on it a bit before doing a fuller review.

June 23, 2012 Update:

I think what I appreciated most about this book was the author's honesty. So I will be honest and say that I was not overly eager to read this book. I did not want to have my heart strings tugged or worse yet broken. Nor did I want to feel guilty somehow of having perfect (in my mind anyway) children but was, even so, a less than perfect mother. One who yelled at her perfect children and had less than grateful thoughts about them every once in a while.

I also have to say that as I was reading, I thanked my lucky stars that I did not have a child like Walker. How ever would I meet his needs? And realizing that perhaps I never could, and worse, that no matter how great a job I did, Walker would be oblivious and not give me all those "pats" on the back that other children automatically do for parents. There would be few rewards. Would I up and walk away?

After reading the book though, I see that I can still thank my lucky stars and yet also know that I would have been up to the task because one's children are so very important. The rewards might have been different, rarer perhaps and yet, even so, validating.

The search for an alternate real home for Walker as he grew up was most troubling to me, thinking about the people like Walker whose parents might not have the know-how and stamina and luck to find a solution.

All in all a good and thought provoking read and the author "played fair".

Journal Entry 2 by wingPooker3wing at York Avenue in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, June 28, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (6/28/2012 UTC) at York Avenue in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

on the parking meter outside 390 York Avenue.

To the finder of this book:

I released this book as part of the Canada Day release challenge running from June 23 to July 2nd this year. Hundreds of wonderful Canadian books will be released by BookCrossers across the country and around the world in celebration of Canadian literature and its authors. I hope you enjoy this book! Happy Canada Day!

And, welcome to the wonderful and wacky world of BookCrossing! Here you'll find a unique and worldwide community of book lovers sharing their books. This book is now yours! Read it, enjoy it. Keep it or pass it on to someone you know or even release it back into the wild as I did. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this book will be notified by e-mail and can follow this book on its travels. BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your email address) and it's a whole lot of fun!