the man with the golden arm

by Nelson Algren | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by tabby-cat-owner of Bellingham, Washington USA on 1/12/2012
Journal Entry 1 by tabby-cat-owner from Bellingham, Washington USA on Thursday, January 12, 2012
Frankie Machine is a golden arm dealer at a gambling joint in the Chicago underworld. First published in 1949.

Released 5 yrs ago (6/13/2014 UTC) at Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

This book has been mailed to Boekentrol of Leeuwarden, The Netherlands. I tagged her in the 1001 book wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 3 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Thursday, June 19, 2014
Thank you very much, tabby-cat-owner, for tagging me with this book!
It arrived safely today. I look forward to reading it very much!

Thank you also HUGELY for the selection of postcards you sent along. I like them a lot!

Journal Entry 4 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, October 08, 2016
The book has been staring at me for some time and finally I got to reading it.

Unfortunately can't get through. I've tried, putbit away, tried again, but the result is the same.
The language used is slang, which doesn't make it easier to follow the story, keep apart the scenes, the characters.
For now I give up.
I think I'll look for a Dutch edition, if there is one. Sometimes reading in my own language works wonders.

Journal Entry 5 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, November 20, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (11/21/2016 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

Chosen by blackwidow1971, this book is now on its way to her, with three other companions.

Thank you for picking my books & happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by blackwidow1971 at Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 17, 2017
So sorry I forgot to post that it's arrived safely

Journal Entry 7 by blackwidow1971 at Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 11, 2017
I've abandoned this as well. The subject matter and the characters were all just too unpleasant. It might be in the 1001 BTRBYD but I'm not going to!

Journal Entry 8 by BOOKWORMINUSALL at Mesa, Arizona USA on Saturday, June 02, 2018
This lovely surprise RABCK arrived safely on my doorstep in between innumerable Doctor Appts and Medical Insurance/Computer issues a day or two ago...WHAT a DAY BRIGHTENER, blackwidow1971...THANK YOU FOR YOUR THOUGHTFULNESS!!! : D HAHAHAHAHA!!! : D I laughed so hard when I read the last sentence in your last JE above..."It might be in the 1001 BTRBYD but I'm not going to!" TOO FUNNY!!! : D I've not read this one, as yet...and I GREATLY APPRECIATE IT...but there are quite a few from other BCers ahead of it on my towering TBR stack, so it will be with me awhile. ; )

Journal Entry 9 by BOOKWORMINUSALL at Mesa, Arizona USA on Sunday, October 21, 2018
Reserved for booklady331's ROUND 17 ABC VBB

Thread Link:

Journal Link:

Journal Entry 10 by BOOKWORMINUSALL at Mesa, Arizona USA on Saturday, January 19, 2019
While I very much appreciate the opportunity to read this book...Award winner or not, if it is truly considered to be one of this author's greatest and most enduring works, I will probably not be reading another book he has written. On the "1001 Books To Read Before You Die" list (the reason I wanted to read it), and even made into a movie starring “Ol' Blue Eyes”, the author must certainly have been well acquainted with his subject matter for it to be so successful. For a visionary novel of its age, I find its style to be "realistic fiction" in nature, and rather depressing...like watching the evening news, if you will...as it could easily have been written about current events in our modern day world. While respectfully and compassionately written (apparently qualities lacking in the movie, which I also understand had a completely different ending, although I won't be watching it to find out), it is filled with characters living in a neighborhood filled with crime, violence, drugs, and the like, who seem to thrive on exploiting one another, and be bent on self-destruction. I will be sending it off to booklady331 sometime next week to fill her ABC VBB Book request, and will be making release notes once I have completed the task. ; )

Updated 2/18/19...My sincere apologies, but my mailing intentions have been delayed due to the Veteran's Doctor and Testing appointments unexpectedly multiplying, so I very much appreciate that you said you were in no hurry. ; )

Journal Entry 11 by BOOKWORMINUSALL at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, April 12, 2019

Released 8 mos ago (4/10/2019 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

booklady331's WISH from her ABC VBB, is at looooong last on it's way. THANK YOU again, for your patience, my BC Friend!!! ; )
HAPPY READING!

Journal Entry 12 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, April 18, 2019
The book arrived today. Thank you so much for sharing this book with me. I’m looking forward to reading it. There is no problem about the timing as I have tons and tons to read. Thank you also for the labels. They will be fine to use. Thank you, my bookcrossing friend, for sharing this book with me.

Journal Entry 13 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Saturday, November 09, 2019
I have tried to read this book - twice - and just can't get into it. I am offering it up to a new reader.

Journal Entry 14 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Monday, November 11, 2019

Released 4 wks ago (11/12/2019 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! KTM RABCK to perryfran for the THE release challenge 2019

Journal Entry 15 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Friday, November 15, 2019
Thanks for sending this RABCK! Although others failed to finish this one and found it depressing and unpleasant, I have also heard good things about it and will look forward to reading it to see what I think.