Snow Angels. James Thompson

by James Thompson | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Hammu of Iitti, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on 1/12/2012
Journal Entry 1 by Hammu from Iitti, Kymenlaakso / Kymmenedalen Finland on Thursday, January 12, 2012
The first thriller in a new series featuring Inspector Kari Vaara: the haunted, hardened detective who must delve into Finland's dark and violent underbelly. Kaamos: Just before Christmas, the bleakest time of the year in Lapland. The unrelenting darkness and extreme cold above the Arctic Circle drive everyone just a little insane ...perhaps enough to kill. A beautiful Somali immigrant is found dead in a snowfield, her body gruesomely mutilated, a racial slur carved into her chest. Heading the murder investigation is Inspector Kari Vaara, the lead detective of the small-town police force. The vicious killing may have been a hate crime, a sex crime-or one and the same. Vaara knows he must keep this potentially exae plosive case out of the national headlines or else it will send shock waves across Finland, an insular nation afraid to face its own xenophobia. The demands of the investigation begin to take their toll on Vaara and his marriage. His young American wife, Kate, newly pregnant with their first child, is struggling to adapt to both the unforgiving Arctic climate and the Finnish culture of silence and isolation. Meanwhile Vaara himself, haunted by his rough childhood and failed first marriage, discovers that the past keeps biting at his heels: He suspects that the rich man for whom his ex-wife left him years ago may be the killer. Endless night can drive anyone to murder.

Journal Entry 2 by wingBookgeowing at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Thank you Hammu, the book is here! I am so glad to have the opportunity to read this now as I just read the second book by Thompson and it had lots of remarks on the past. This book will now open those mysteries to me.

Edit Jul 11, 2013: Reserved for pippis via wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 3 by wingBookgeowing at Pirkkala, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, July 21, 2013
As expected, this book opened the whole story of Kari's past that was a significant part of the book Lucifer's Tears, too. That was perhaps even the best part of this book for me. The plot in this book had its twists and turns to keep the tension up, but as a whole I found this book much less credible than the first one. There was a huge amount of violence there, almost like the book would not work without it. So this was definitely more cruel and brutal story than Lucifer's Tears. The northern environment was a huge plus, although some descriptions of Finnish Lapland anf its people were a bit awkwardly told in English. Many Finnish phenomenons are not so easy to translate :).

Thanks Hammu, this book now continues to pippis.

Journal Entry 4 by wingBookgeowing at Wishlist Tag Game, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, July 21, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (7/21/2013 UTC) at Wishlist Tag Game, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Wish list reading for pippis, here you go!

P.S. If you do not enjoy this, try the second one by Thompson :).

Toivelistakirjojen lukuhaaste
2013 Keep Them Moving # 20

Journal Entry 5 by wingpippiswing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, July 21, 2013
Thank you, thank you, thank you! It's funny how Finnishness infiltrates the world...

Journal Entry 6 by wingpippiswing at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Sunday, April 02, 2017
Dang the man could write! It's so weird how observantly he could represent Finnishness and still be quite unapologetic and unashamed about it (unlike Finns are when describing ourselves to foreigners). Leaving the groceries to the boot was to the point, but the misery of the whole village and everyone in Vaara's life...is it any wonder everyone moves out from godforsaken bumblef***s as soon as they can?!
Since the book has been read by other family members as well, it's only high time it gets to travel the world! First, it's going to travel as an ambassador for what I consider to be some of the best things coming from Finland...

Journal Entry 7 by wingpippiswing at on Sunday, April 02, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (4/3/2017 UTC) at

Kari Vaara's tired of snow and heads South - at least a bit!

Journal Entry 8 by anathema-device at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Wednesday, April 05, 2017
Wow, thank you so much for the lovely surprise RABCK, pippis! It arrived here on a wet, grey Wednesday, and I simply love all the Finnish things (Tom of Finland stamp and card, chocolate, and a pepper chip dip!) and the slightly unsettling and beautiful (golden paisley peacock dragon-ish) swan on one of the stamps. I'm looking forward to discovering a new writer, and it's also always useful to have a mystery or thriller on the shelf for days such as yesterday with its sudden big rainstorm and hail shower. (Now I can sit in the winter garden with my book and enjoy a hot chocolate. Yay!)

Journal Entry 9 by anathema-device at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Wednesday, April 19, 2017
What a different read from my usual fare. I found out that it's very difficult to keep kaamos in mind while reading the book if you're not used to such extremes. I had to "rewrite" a couple of scenes in my head because there was always too much light in my imagination. I'm still not sure what to think of the book itself, especially in context of the PR line on the back, which compares it to Stieg Larsson's books. It seemed to me that there isn't a single strong female character in Snow Angels, and all of the male ones are increasingly... questionable at least. And while I enjoy a good series of plot twists, I'm not sure the writer did a good thing here, starting with what looks like a hate crime... Well, I'm not going to give away any spoilers, but I'm definitely still mulling over the portrayal of immigrants and especially Muslims in this book. And whoa, there was indeed a lot of gore and violence. Which I could definitely put up with in Stieg Larsson's books, whereas here it seems to add to an overall depressing atmosphere and outlook. As I said, definitely not easy fare, this one.

I'll definitely keep it travelling. Keeping my eyes open for bookcrossers with a preference for thrillers.

Journal Entry 10 by anathema-device at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Monday, July 10, 2017

Released 3 yrs ago (7/11/2017 UTC) at Graz, Steiermark Austria

This book is now travelling on to the winner of the current round of the Tea & Mystery Sweeps (as soon as I can get a little address detail cleared up). Hope that's your thing!

Journal Entry 11 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, August 31, 2017
The book has arrived safe and sound. Intrigued by all the comments above. Eager to get a taste of Finland. Thank you for picking this book for me.

Updated Oct 31, 2017

The book kept me on the edge of my seat. I enjoyed all the plot twists and the book pulled me into the depressing and gloomy Finnish winter. Now I will be on the lookout for other works by this author.

Journal Entry 12 by wingmcsarwing at Wishlist Tag Game, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, November 05, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (11/8/2017 UTC) at Wishlist Tag Game, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Going to a fellow bookcrosser to fulfill a wish on the wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 13 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, November 13, 2017
Thank you so much for this wishlist-tag, and for the additional surprises! I love everything. That was so thoughtful of you, and really made my day. :-)

Journal Entry 14 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, September 18, 2020
Wow. This was a real page-turner despite its bleakness. I especially liked the insight into Finnish culture, and life in the winter darkness known as kaamos, which lasts for weeks. As someone who is quite affected by the shortening days in autumn, I was quite attuned to this aspect of the story. I suppose it must be the anticipation of the summer light that allows people to survive it. But the book makes clear how the darkness affects the psyche and intensifies feelings of despair.

Anyway, it was well-plotted, with enough twists and turns to keep the reader turning the pages. I particularly liked Kate, Vaara's American wife, but all the characters were interesting in their own way.

Looking forward to the others in the series. I was saddened to learn that the author died in 2014 at the age of 49 (some say 50). He truly was a talented writer.

Highly recommended!

Journal Entry 15 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Friday, September 18, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (9/18/2020 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Traveling to fulfill a wish.

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 16 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Wednesday, September 23, 2020
What a wonderful surprise arrived yesterday!! Thank you so much, eponine38 for your wonderful parcel that lightened up my dreary Tuesday. I look forward to reading this book very much!