Remake

by Connie Willis | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by JudySlump612 of Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on 1/11/2012
Journal Entry 1 by JudySlump612 from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, January 11, 2012
This isn't my favorite Connie Willis book, but that's like saying this piece of chocolate isn't my favorite - it's still the real thing, for goodness' sake!

Here we have one of Willis most poignant and beautifully written love stories, embellished with her customary sly humor. It's also a tribute to Hollywood film classics, with a pointed and funny look at the challenges they pose to political and medical correctness. Willis must spend all her time studying vintage movies, which is odd, because we all know she spends all her time writing, and also spends all her time researching the London Blitz. How does she do it? Is she our century's Time Lady?

But that's just one person's opinion. Future readers, what do YOU think of this book?

Journal Entry 2 by JudySlump612 at by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Released 12 yrs ago (1/11/2012 UTC) at by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Sent to Imawinn2 because she's such an excellent example of good BookCrossing, and because she has the good taste to have a Connie Willis book on her Wish List. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, January 14, 2012
What a wonderful surprise! Thanks so much for fulfilling one of my Wishes. Also, thanks for the kind words. Shucks! You make me feel warm and fuzzy on this January night. Bookcrossing has truly been a fun experience for me. Besides the fun of sharing good books with others, it has been such a great time connecting with fantastic folks like you. I am going to put Remake near the top of my TBR stack. Ever since I read To Say Nothing of the Dog (bookray), I've been eager to read more of Connie Willis' works. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, July 16, 2013
That was a fun little read. I thought it an interesting concept Willis had going there with the remake of movies with digital images of movie actors/actress favorites or paying to put your face into a classic role. I remember when they first started playing around with digital images of actors long gone and it crossed computer folks' minds to make new movies with long gone movie stars. Of course, it didn't happen. Anyway... I enjoyed this tale and the main characters. Like JudySlump612, it wasn't my favorite Connie Willis story but it certainly held my attention and I got a few chuckles. I especially liked it towards the end and the author pulls it together nicely. Lets just say... where there is a Willis there is a way. ;-)

Journal Entry 5 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, August 31, 2013

Released 10 yrs ago (8/31/2013 UTC) at Neenah, Wisconsin USA

Putting this in emmejo's Otherworldly Bookbox. Happy Travels! Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 6 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, September 16, 2013
Hard as I am trying to not bring many books into the house, since I like Willis, and I'm involved in theater and film, how could I not select this :p

Plucked from emmjo's Otherworldly Bookbox.

Journal Entry 7 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Tuesday, October 8, 2013
OK, maybe this isn't Willis' "best," but it's brilliant, and I totally LOVED it!! And that "best" label is so subjective, anyway. I'm expect the more you are into film, the "better" this will be perceived to be :) Why, the sheer volume of references is phenomenal :) and film-buff though I am, I'm sure there is much that passed me by.

Sadly, this is a possible future of the industry that could be. I hope not; already in both theater and film, so much art and craft has given way to technology. And while spectacular and amazing effects are achieved, when alone, when they take the place of story, of character, of heart, they are not enough.

Now decision time. While reading I thought of a friend who teaches film that I would like to pass this to.... but I'm also tempted to keep it to reread.....
(slapping own hand) "No, you're moving in two months and Must. Cut. Down."

Journal Entry 8 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Tuesday, February 26, 2019
Well, obviously slapping my hand didn’t work, but look what I found when I opened a box in the basement LOL

I knew it had been a long time, but I didn’t realize how long till I looked it up after I reread it. How time flies😃 my take on it hasn’t changed, or on the sadness at the loss of art. What has changed is the ease of technology, in this case how easily I can Google dances and watch them on YouTube… Of course I had to watch Begin the Beguine which was so important in the book. Then I had to watch another favorite Eleanor Powell, one that isn’t in the book, dancing with a dog in Lady Be Good

And now that I’m totally in the mood for tap I had to watch another favorite clip, the stupendous Nicholas Brothers

Now, do I keep the book a few more months and add to the SF box I just signed up for, or do I take it to one of the many little free library’s nearby… Decisions decisions…

Journal Entry 9 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 10, 2020
Thank you so much for my lovely birthday package - I can't wait to read this or try the chocolate :)

Journal Entry 10 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 30, 2024
I haven't read a science fiction like this for a while - it's not a big space opera or related to a TV program - it's just a shortish novel set in a future that I'm sure the author could see coming. When this was published, in 1994, CGI was just starting to really come to the fore, and even the smallest of movies had some sort of special effects. However, I think she'd be pleased to find out that musicals haven't died and are making a bit of a resurgence. And while CGI has improved a thousandth fold, it hasn't resulted in many dead film stars being recast in modern films. The whole remake thing though - I think modern Hollywood is a bit obsessed with redoing the same thing, but luckily they're also just as dedicated to making the new.

The story itself is a weird sort of love story, with Tom falling for Alis after meeting her at a party, but unable to really acknowledge it due to the amount of drugs and alcohol he consumes as he works. His job is ultimately unfulfilling - digitally changing films to suit the politics of the day or adding in the latest girlfriend of his boss.

I didn't quite understand all the science behind what he did and how Alis accidentally manages to finally fulfill her dream, but it made sense in the fictional context. And while it didn't have a very happy ending, it had a satisfactory one.

Doomsday Book will still always be my favourite Willis book, but this was an enjoyable read and for anyone who loves films, this will go down really well.

Journal Entry 11 by wingdark-dracowing at Book Box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Released 4 mos ago (1/30/2024 UTC) at Book Box, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Added to my Science Fiction Book box

Journal Entry 12 by wingdark-dracowing at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 29, 2024
Came home in the UK SF Book Box

Released 1 mo ago (5/18/2024 UTC) at St Micheals Hospice Gardens in Hereford, Herefordshire United Kingdom

Congratulations! You have found a traveling book.

Thank you for taking the time to visit this site and letting us know what this book has been up to since it was released into the wild. I hope you enjoy reading it, but even if it isn’t your type of thing, then I’m sure there will be someone out there who will love it. This book is now yours, so feel free to keep it. However, I would be grateful if you could leave all the stickers in place and pass it on again once you’ve finished with it – you could give it to a friend, donate it to a charity shop or just leave it lying around somewhere to be picked up again by a total stranger. If you would like to get regular updates on what the book is doing in the future, then why not join Bookcrossing too…it’s fun, friendly and free.

Thanks again and happy reading!

Journal Entry 14 by Kikalilu at Hereford, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 18, 2024
What a wonderful and exciting experience that I had to join!!! We found this book out in the wild at St Michael's hospice today at a plant sale and look forward to reading then re-release to the wild :) ....to be continued!