Beggars in Spain

by NANCY KRESS | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by Rendiru of Carmichael, California USA on 10/2/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Rendiru from Carmichael, California USA on Thursday, October 2, 2003
This is the first book of the series. Genetic modification allows parents (at least those who can afford it) to choose the characteristics they desire in their children. Many choose intelligence, strength and beauty, but a few also choose unapproved modifications, including one that changes the child so profoundly that the world will never be the same.

I heartily recommend this series.

I'm offering this on the bookrelay and offering the next book, Beggars and Choosers, as a bonus to the person who accepts. Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 2 by lightwavz from Detroit, Michigan USA on Tuesday, January 20, 2004
Caught this weekend... this looks like an interesting series! I'll read it as soon as the TBR Monster lets me and keep it moving along! thanks!

Journal Entry 3 by lightwavz from Detroit, Michigan USA on Wednesday, June 9, 2004
I can really see why this one earned so much critical acclaim! I was totally engaged by the ideas, the characters, the scientific theories and the ethical ramifications of this book! What would happen if you chose genetic modifications for your child and essentially made them a monster in the eyes of the world? And how would the child react to their fate? I, too, am recommending this series to my friends! Thanks for sending me a couple of winning books, Rendiru!!!

This one is reserved for jollyroger (who doesn't journal) but then it is up for grabs.

Journal Entry 4 by lightwavz from Detroit, Michigan USA on Wednesday, July 28, 2004
This copy is off to hurricanereader in Puerto Rico! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by lightwavz from Detroit, Michigan USA on Wednesday, July 28, 2004
This copy is off to hurricanereader in Puerto Rico! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by hurricanereader from Salinas, Puerto Rico USA on Monday, August 23, 2004
Thanks Lightwazv, hope it's as good as Brainrose, which is only book lightwavz wanted from me, and she [ve?] send me big book of books.

Journal Entry 7 by hurricanereader from Salinas, Puerto Rico USA on Friday, October 1, 2004
Just finished and sending to Fury111 in a trade.

Journal Entry 8 by hurricanereader from Salinas, Puerto Rico USA on Wednesday, October 6, 2004
Definitely a novel of ideas, a century-spanning story of genetic modification, bigotry, and political fanatics. Thanks lightwavz!

Journal Entry 9 by FuryIII on Tuesday, October 12, 2004
Received from hurricanereader with the most unusual bookmark I've yet to come across! (LOL!)

Thanks for the exchange. I look forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 10 by FuryIII on Friday, April 1, 2005
This was a tremendously interesting story, and I enjoyed Kress' exploration of the ramifications, not only of the modified children, but of their children as well. I did get a bit tired of being beaten over the head with the economic ideology (got it the first time, thanks), but that didn't much detract from the story itself. A very satisfying read.

Again, thanks to hurricanereader for the trade.