Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games)

by Suzanne Collins | Teens |
Registered by HoserLauren of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 1/9/2012
Journal Entry 1 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Monday, January 09, 2012
Received as a Christmas present. It's book 2 in the Hunger Games trilogy.

From Chapters:
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Thursday, April 12, 2012
Katniss Everdeen, the girl on fire, has survived the arena of the Hunger Games only to be forced on a victory tour with the threat that if she can't make people believe that she loves Peeta, bad things are going to start to happen. Still not entirely sure of her feelings for him, she knows she has to do this because her loved ones are in danger, including her family and Gale. With the Quarter Quell coming up, an even more horrific Hunger Games, Katniss adds to her worries of being a mentor for some other poor children. But when the rules suddenly change, Katniss struggles to figure out how to protect her and her loved ones while determining if she should be for or against the murmurs of uprising against the Capital.

Katniss is such a strong female character but has some obvious flaws which make her such a refreshing character to read about. Some times her reaction to situations annoys me but no character is perfect. I simply couldn't put this book down. I enjoyed book 2 more than book 1 as there was a good mixture of tension with the Capital and another Hunger Games. This was a great second book to the series and I think it'll make an even better movie than the first one.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, April 15, 2012
This book is with me:)

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, May 05, 2012
Katniss Everdeen won The Hunger Games along with fellow tribute Peeta Mellark by suggesting they would both eat poison berries rather than one kill the other. This was an act of defiance and now Katniss is a symbol of that defiance for all the districts.

Katniss and Peeta are to go on their Victory Tour when Pres. Snow shows up to warn Katniss he expects a continuation of her show of love for Peeta and she must deliver or else. Katniss doesn't really know how she feels for Peeta or for her hunting buddy, Gale.

With the Quarter Quell games coming up, Katniss is starting to wonder about the Capitol and its decisions. Then the rules change and Katniss and Peeta are thrown into the arena once more.

This is a great sequel to the first book. I felt the tension and Katniss' agonizing decisions really brought plenty of page-turning moments. Both Katniss' indecision and her rash and hasty decisions are so typical for her age and are portrayed so well. What I had a little problem with is the abrupt ending. Yes, it is a steep cliff the reader is balanced on but I had to read the last bit several times before comprehending how I got up to the cliff in the first place.

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, March 15, 2013
This book is with me and part of my permanent collection.