Jailbird

by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BigJohnLefty of Des Moines, Iowa USA on 1/6/2012
Journal Entry 1 by BigJohnLefty from Des Moines, Iowa USA on Friday, January 06, 2012
This one appeared on the "free shelf" on the second floor break room at work, and I felt compelled to snap it up......
I recall reading this around 1980, maybe, and don't remember much about it; most of Vonnegut's "classic" work I've read several times over, but the few of his later novels I've perused only once..... so here is an exception to that.
In an added bit of karma, yesterday at a downtown bookstore I picked up a biography of this great American author - haven't decided yet wherther to register that or not.

Will get to this one as soon as I possibly can......

Journal Entry 2 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Friday, June 14, 2013
This might actually be a record for me, holding on to a Vonnegut book for a year and a half before reading it. I recall reading this maybe 30 years ago, but I was more than halfway into it before any of it seemed familiar to me at all.....

This is only the second of his later books that I've read (the other being Galapagos), and its vintage Vonnegut - I'm continually amazed at all the connections appearing here. I'd say the previous novel which this bears the most resemblance to would be "Mother Night", in that it doesn't have the surreal element that many of his most notable works do.
Another interesting thing is that it has an index in it - curiously enough the only other novel I've ever read that has one is "La Colmena" (The Hive) by Camilo Jose Cela, which necessitated one because it had 300 characters in a story that took place in five days (set during World War II). I remember telling a college Spanish professor that that book reminded so much of Vonnegut, and he said "are you kidding? Vonnegut had to have read this book - he had to have been influenced by this author".
And on and on......

Journal Entry 3 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Thursday, July 11, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (7/11/2013 UTC) at Des Moines, Iowa USA

Sending to bookstogive to go into her OBCZ - hope it finds a good home!

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookstogivewing at Springville, Tennessee USA on Monday, July 15, 2013
I received this book in a RABCK box destined for my OBCZ, thanks so much for the donations! They will be heading out to the shelf shortly.

Journal Entry 5 by wingbookstogivewing at Pizza Pro OBCZ in Springville, Tennessee USA on Monday, July 15, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (7/15/2013 UTC) at Pizza Pro OBCZ in Springville, Tennessee USA

Heading out to the OBCZ shelf, Happy Travels!

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, who are sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, enjoy, keep or pass on to another reader.

The BookCrossing ID, which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. We would be delighted if you would make a journal entry to say you have found the book. It is fun for other readers of this book to see where the book has traveled-sometimes around the world!

BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential, and you may remain anonymous (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address) and a great deal of fun. If you choose to join please consider using me BOOKSTOGIVE as your referring member.