Hancock Park: A Novel

by Isabel Kaplan | Teens |
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 1/3/2012
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, January 03, 2012
Book Description:

Becky Miller lives in the best neighborhood, goes to school with the children of movie stars, and has her psychiatrist on speed dial. She may live in the City of Angels, but this sixteen-year-old's life is far from perfect.

By day, Becky navigates the halls of one of L.A.'s most elite schools, where the mean girls are a special breed of mean, and at night, she deals with sparring parents, a grandmother who is man-crazy, and a younger brother, Jack, who answers only to J-zizzy. As Becky's life comes crashing down around her, she struggles to put it back together and learn to grow up while trying to stay sane.

Isabel Kaplan dishes the dirt on the children of Hollywood's elite - from Spago delivered to campus at lunch and shrinks who dole out psychotropic drugs as though they're candy to parent-free parties at the Four Seasons - the lives of Becky and her creator, Isabel Kaplan, are like no other, and yet strangely, just like everyone's.

My Review: This was an interesting book. It reminds me of the TV show 90210. Becky Miller is going through several changes which are tough to handle when you are in high school. I liked the story, and look forward to reading more by this author.

I bought this book from the Dollar Tree in Woodstock, Georgia. Saving this for a bookbox.

Journal Entry 2 by JennyC1230 at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (1/15/2014 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book is starting out in the Teens Shrinking Bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by mrsjones at Hamilton, Ohio USA on Friday, January 31, 2014
Pulled this from the bookbox. Could be interesting...

Journal Entry 4 by mrsjones at Hamilton, Ohio USA on Saturday, February 08, 2014
I see this was written by an 18-year-old, and can't help wonder how autobiographical it is. The writing was nice; it moved right along. She also explored some really good insight into teenage girls and the emotions they experience as they suffer through their parents' divorces and also what it's like to have your father date someone who is practically your age. (Or maybe this appealed to me because I've lived it.) What I really liked is that the main character knew she was dealing with emotional issues as a result, but she couldn't figure out what they were, or how to deal with them. That was the best part of the book for me.

Other than that, there were a lot of clichés. The trio of mean, popular girls. The quick befriending and shunning of them. The dorky nerd in the smart classes. Etc. The book would have been MUCH better if she hadn't resorted to these stereotypes.

Journal Entry 5 by mrsjones at Buckeye Express Diner in Lexington, Ohio USA on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (2/15/2014 UTC) at Buckeye Express Diner in Lexington, Ohio USA

Left this on a table outside the diner. Ate a humongous burger for lunch and 8 hours later, I'm still full!!

Enjoy!