Here on Earth (Oprah's Book Club)

by Alice Hoffman | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Minerva101 of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 12/31/2011
Journal Entry 1 by Minerva101 from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 31, 2011
This is a very strange book, but Alice Hoffman is such a great writer that you just have to read the whole thing anyways. Kind of a modern more disfunctional Wuthering Heights sort of a story.

From Booklist
Hoffman's powers of enchantment increase exponentially in each of her cosmically romantic novels. Just as she did in Practical Magic (1995), Hoffman depicts love as a disturbance in the field, but here it is manifested as an unpredictable force of nature that encompasses all extremes, from the chilling pall of winter to the life-and-death properties of fire. Richard, March's sweet but distracted husband, should not have let her return to their small New England hometown with only their teenage daughter, Gwen, for company. He should have known that when March left for the haunted terrain of Fox Hill, she would meet up with Hollis, the jealous and angry boy-man with whom she was so deeply in love as a young woman. Hollis transformed himself from a resentful charity case into a millionaire but left death and despair in his wake and achieved no joy through his success. And he's still obsessed with March, who slips right back into the confines of their passion because Hollis possesses the sort of power that makes women cling and submit. Hoffman walks a fine line between bodice-ripping trash romance and bewitching but intelligent fiction here, but her fluency in the language of the heart and the bruised tenderness of her prose lift her far above cliche, into a luminous realm where the souls of her poignant characters open like moonflowers. Donna Seaman --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Journal Entry 2 by Minerva101 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (2/11/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Since the February theme for our Bookcrossing meeting is Unusual Expressions of Love, I figured I would share this modern Wuthering Heights - type of novel. It is just as messed up as Wuthering Heights, but I liked it anyways ;-)

Journal Entry 3 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, February 12, 2012
I'm not sure about this one but I'll give it a go.

Journal Entry 4 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 13, 2013
I had a hard time getting into this story but I persevered because Minerva101 liked it. Eventually I was interested in finding out how the characters were going to get through the complexities of the situation. I thought the ending was too abrupt and tidy considering the complicated relationships of the characters but since I didn't like most of them, I didn't lose any sleep. ;)

Journal Entry 5 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (7/13/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Took the book to the meetup at Cravings today.

Journal Entry 6 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 14, 2013
Picked this up at the July book crossing meeting.

Journal Entry 7 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, March 20, 2015
I can't say that I enjoyed this book. The characters were not very likable and I found it difficult to understand the situation. Having said that Alice Hoffman did draw me into the story and kept me reading to the end.

Journal Entry 8 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 11, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (4/11/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this to the April BookCrossing meeting to be enjoyed by the next reader.

Journal Entry 9 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 11, 2015
Picked this up at today's BookCrossing meeting at Cravings. No back problems carting home books today!!!

Journal Entry 10 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, May 30, 2018
Hard to pick up as didn't like the cover or the title. Eventually, the Bingo game made me pick it up. Read it until the end. Disturbing story, didn't really like the characters - EXCEPT I started to like Gwen. I liked March less as the story moved on. It kept me reading though.

Journal Entry 11 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, July 13, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (7/14/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this to the July meetup at Cravings!

Journal Entry 12 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 15, 2018
Holding on to this one for the next reader.