Tony Abbott: A Man's Man

by Susan Mitchell | Nonfiction |
ISBN: 1921844302 Global Overview for this book
Registered by winggoldenwattlewing of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on 12/29/2011
Journal Entry 1 by winggoldenwattlewing from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, December 29, 2011
ABOUT THE BOOK:
'If he's elected as our PM in the future I would be very scared for women everywhere.' — Mia Freedman
When Julia Gillard — who was unmarried and childless, and an atheist — became prime minister in 2010, Tony Abbott was left boiling with rage. Not only had he lost, but he had been defeated by a modern woman. For the time being, the ambitions of this fundamentalist Catholic and fiercely combative reactionary politician had been thwarted.
Tony Abbott, a former pugilist and would-be priest, has dedicated his public life to the prosecution of his deeply traditional values. A favoured son in his own family, and raised in a cloistered world of male institutions, he has always been drawn to powerful mentors from his own caste — priests, zealots, and father figures. Perhaps this is why so many voters, especially women, dislike him: they sense in Abbott's default aggressiveness and lack of balance a man not attuned to their centre-of-the-road, secular interests.
In this blistering critique, Susan Mitchell explores how Australia's would-be prime minister became the man he is today . He is at war, not just with the government, but in an unrelenting battle for the hearts and minds of the Australian people. There is still time, he believes, to achieve the position that his male mentors think he is destined to hold — that of leading the country back to 'the proper order of things'. But is he the the prime minister-in-waiting that the country has to have — or does he pose an unacceptable threat to his own party and to the nation?

Journal Entry 2 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, December 29, 2011
The thought that Tony Abbott could be prime minister is scary and I agree with much that this book says. I felt this before I read the book, but it is even more worrying now that I have. However, some of the writing pushes the point too far to give impact and drama. This weakened the message for me. Some statements are too broad. “Most women were outraged by those offending words…” It doesn’t matter what the words were, but how does the author know most women were outraged? My guess is that most woman (like most men) probably weren’t interested enough to watch or read the news to hear these statements. Most women more likely refers to the author’s friends, associates and women she comes into contact with. I would probably agree too with the author’s statement…but the general population?
On page 129 opinion poll percentages are quoted. “37% of men approved of Abbott, while 47% of women disapproved of him.” What the heck do those figures mean? That 63% of men disapproved of him against 47% of woman? That 53% of women approved of him against 37% of men? Very doubtful, but those figures are meaningless.
The book is a worthwhile read though and I hope lots of people read it.

Journal Entry 3 by winggoldenwattlewing at Acton, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, February 03, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (2/4/2012 UTC) at Acton, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Released at Hudson's Café in the National Botanic Gardens, Canberra. Today is our local monthy Bookcrossing meet. Enjoy.

Please return to Goldenwattle when read. Thank you.

ADDED: FreePages took the book.

Journal Entry 4 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, March 05, 2012
As a member of a facebook group called "Keep Calm Abbott is not PM" I think once I read this book it will probably be preaching to the already converted. Always, good to see something in writing from another source. Although, I can understand your reservations "golden wattle" with unsubstantiated statements. Unsubstantiated statements, are just one of the things I find irritating with most of what rAbbot says.
Hope to have an opportunity to read it soon.