Fatal Remedies

by Donna Leon | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by noname-blue of München, Bayern Germany on 12/11/2011
Journal Entry 1 by noname-blue from München, Bayern Germany on Friday, February 10, 2012
Brunetti Nr. 8

RES after reading for the Ray

Journal Entry 2 by noname-blue at München, Bayern Germany on Saturday, August 17, 2013
I've just started this book and already I'm grappling with having to continue, because both characters (Paola and Guido) have been handed the idiot ball. I remember reading an Interview with Leon, where not only she talked about churning out a novel in a few months, but also being "inspired by" current events in newspaper headlines. As Merolia wrote in a review, the topic might be important, but that alone doesn't make the story well-written.

And also being snotty about why Brunetti reads Tacitus and similar for relaxation, because she herself likes "highbrow" stuff, and why should her detective have as low taste as other fictional detectives who eat hamburgers (I assume the Sue Grafton series - who is a PI, quite different from a police commissario with a law degree). Not only does it come across as posturing, here Leon reveals how little high literature has to do with intelligence.

The problem is that Paola wants to stop sex tourism (with children) to Thailand , so in the middle of the night she throws stones through the windows of one travel agency.

Now, a confused, angry teenager doing this - before having a discussion with an adult - would be believable. But an adult woman, who - since she teaches at a university, and also considers herself a feminist - should have basic knowledge of history of changing society? Worse, when Guido has a discussion with her about how to stop sex tourism, he brings the completly different case of the Catholic church forbidding pharmacists to sell condoms.

Dear Paola, you idiot, when you want to change things, you 1. form a group, to distribute work and carry on after you've been arrested 2. Make your demands and position known through the press beforehand, and give time to react to the demands 3. Act in public daylight as a group not in the middle of the night.
One single person acting at night without telling her demands beforehand isn't political cause. It's vandalism. (And juvenile and stupid times ten). Martin Luther King organised a bus boycott and told his demands (end segregation on buses), he didn't throw stones through windows.

Also, not everybody who travels to Thailand wants to have sex with children. There are a lot of people who just like beach and party, and some people who watch the art and temples there.

And stopping sex tourism means working together with NGOs and police in Thailand, because stopping all sex tourists from Italy from travelling there won't stop children prostitution in Thailand, since sex tourists travel there from many different countries.

Guido, besides being too stupid to convince Paola of a productive form of protest, also repeats the mistake he already made: he has a witness against the Mafia. He warns the witness of the danger - and then completly forgets to provide any sort of protection. What a surprise, the wife of the witness falls down the stairs and dies, so the witness changes his story.

Ugh. Difficult to go on after that.

....

Brunetti continues holding the idiot ball tightly: when the influential real owner of the travel agency appears with his lawyer at the police station to offer to hush things over, he starts investigating and then calls it off. Given that Paola is clearly in the wrong and has admitted doing the deed, there can be only two reasons as to why a powerful man would want to go soft: either he fears the bad press - unlikely, as we were already told how Italian media downplays the problem; or he fears coming under closer scrutiny with his other business (true, as we find out later). This should make any half-way intelligent cop sit up and start searching, but Brunetti calls off the search and even when the lawyer confirms that his client was not a forgiving man, Brunetti doesn't seem to realize that there was something fishy going on.

Finished the book now. The real owner of the travel agency is murdered, and a note left makes it look as if it's related to Paola's protest, so Brunetti tries to find the truth.

The reveal at the end sounds only partly plausible: (SPOILER)

shipping expired medications for a lot of money to third world, I can believe, but making placebos in Italy before shipping? Did Donna Leon completly miss where fake medication is mass-produced : in the 3rd world countries themselves?

At the end, the clichees about "All Italians" came thick and fast and really bothersome again. If her style doesn't improve, it may be difficult to go on with this series.

Journal Entry 3 by noname-blue at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Monday, October 14, 2013

Released 8 yrs ago (10/10/2013 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

By Mail to Canada

Journal Entry 4 by janey-canuck at Guelph, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 8, 2014
Received, with thanks.

Journal Entry 5 by janey-canuck at Guelph, Ontario Canada on Monday, April 28, 2014
Well, isn't this a bit of a different flavour? I enjoyed Paolo being featured more in the story but I agree with noname-blue that she was handed an idiot ball. Though that went away, I became less interested in the story as it took a different turn. I'm not 100% sure I want to keep reading the Brunetti books, though they are an awfully quick read.

Journal Entry 6 by janey-canuck at Guelph, Ontario Canada on Monday, April 28, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (4/28/2014 UTC) at Guelph, Ontario Canada

En route to MMEClinton

Journal Entry 7 by wingMmeClintonwing at South Berwick, Maine USA on Sunday, May 4, 2014
Still grateful to have this series passed on to me, even though the reviews here are making me a wee bit nervous about what to expect... I will suspend belief and try to enjoy the series nonetheless.

Journal Entry 8 by wingMmeClintonwing at South Berwick, Maine USA on Saturday, July 5, 2014
Number * in the Brunetti series, which I am going through rapidly to send on to LyekkaMarengo! Review comments on Shelfari.

Journal Entry 9 by LyekkaMarengo at Warriors Mark, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, July 8, 2015
Got this a while ago and just realized I didn't journal it. Haven't read this one yet and have no idea what to do with it when I'm done.

Journal Entry 10 by LyekkaMarengo at Warriors Mark, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, May 10, 2019
Never got any instructions on what to do with these books so they will be moving on, just not sure where or when. Maybe AAUW in State College, PA

I read the first few in the series and they sort of got to be repetitive. Started to dislike the main character which is always the kiss of death. Never read this one.