Books Can Be Deceiving (A Library Lover's Mystery)

by Jenn McKinlay | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingfurballwing of Alexandria, Virginia USA on 12/10/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingfurballwing from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, December 10, 2011
Not bad cozy mystery. At least, the protagonist isn't excessively irritating, which can be a problem with cozies. I probably won't search out later books, but if I run across them at a library sale or something, I might get them.

Journal Entry 2 by wingfurballwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, December 10, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (12/10/2011 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

Going to the BCinDC Holiday Party at the Old Country Buffet in Alexandria, VA because of its snappy first line.

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Sunday, December 11, 2011
I selected this from the wrap-it-up book game at the holiday part based on the first line. My understanding of the rules is that I need to at least try to read it by the time of the next holiday party. Mt. TBR is huge, but I should be able to accomplish that goal.

I would guess this is the one that I will finish first of all the wrap-it-up books, because I love cozy mysteries and find them a quick read and also because I signed up for the Bookish Bookbox and this will fit that theme.

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Wednesday, January 11, 2012
This meets all of my criteria for a perfect cozy mystery: engaging protagonist, quirky small-town characters sure to reappear in the next book, a potential love-interest for the protagonist, and a decent mystery. Only thing that would make it better would be a cat. Am in love with Milton, the yogi and town elder, and have a bit of a crush on Sully. Will definitely seek out more of this series to read -- it was a quick and charming diversion!

Setting this aside for MaryZee's bookish book box, since it is truly a perfect choice for that theme.

Journal Entry 5 by wing6of8wing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, May 05, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (5/5/2012 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Popping this one into MaryZee's Bookish Book Box, which I will pass back to her at Gaithersburg Book Festival. I hope she loves it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 6 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Monday, May 14, 2012
This came home in my Bookish bookbox yesterday. This is one I will definitely read before sending the box out again; love cozy mysteries. Thanks so much, Furball and 6of8!

Journal Entry 7 by wing6of8wing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Sunday, June 03, 2018
Sadly, MaryZee passed suddenly in September 2012. MaryZee's daughter is now ready to rehome her mom's books and I was willing to collect and redistribute them to keep her literary legacy alive.

As you can see from my review, I enjoyed this book when I read it. Sadly, FURBALL has also passed, having been hit by a car in February 2017. I hope that this book travels for many years to keep both of their memories alive.

Journal Entry 8 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA on Monday, June 04, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (6/4/2018 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA

This book is on its way to GoryDetails to read and enjoy, in memory of two wonderful BookCrossers.

Journal Entry 9 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, June 07, 2018
Thanks so much for the wishlist book! I enjoyed A Likely Story, which I discovered via a book group I'm in, and am happy to have a chance to read the first in the series. The fact that it came via two much-loved and sadly-missed BCers makes it more special, a lovely way to remember Furball and MaryZee.

Later: I enjoyed this book quite a lot, but I liked the later book better; this seems to be a series that improves with time, a good sign. This book's still quite fun, though it does suffer from the amateur-detective's standard flaw: the tendency to avoid calling the police while busily blundering into the path of a murderer. But, heck, if they didn't try to investigate, there'd be no story - and in this case the obstructive and clueless local sheriff wouldn't be my first choice when calling for help either.

I liked the character interactions, the rather charming seaside setting, and the many book-related quips - it's fun to see fictional characters cheerfully debating their favorite books, quoting the characters, and recommending titles. And when they're talking about books I like - Rebecca, for example - or those I've just discovered, as in Murdoch's The Sea, The Sea - it adds to the fun.

The mystery here centers around the bloody murder of an admittedly unlikeable character - though, to the author's credit, she makes Beth (the character closest to the victim) show believable levels of shock at the discovery. Much as we might think that someone obnoxious deserves to die, it isn't the same thing as seeing them actually dead... The plot itself is a bit twisty, and parts of it struck me as rather unlikely in this day and age, but when I like the setting, characters, and writing style I don't mind a few plotholes.

I also enjoyed the librarian elements, which ring very true; there are the delightful bits, leading eager patrons to new titles or solving a tricky reference question, but there are also the days when the patrons are demanding, huffy, and a bit thick, the kids are noisy and destructive, and some malefactor's decided to camp out in the stacks with lit cigarettes (or worse). I got a kick out of such things as the mistaken-identity scene, when someone meeting our heroines for the first time goes through the "You don't look like a librarian" bit. And when "the lemon" - dour Ms. Cole, who really *does* look like a stereotypical librarian - saves the day in a very timely and dramatic manner, I had to cheer. You do NOT want to mess with a librarian!

Journal Entry 10 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 16th St in Newbury, Massachusetts USA on Friday, July 13, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (7/14/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 16th St in Newbury, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in this beautifully-decorated and mermaid-themed Little Free Library on this lovely day; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***