Specials (Uglies Trilogy)

by Scott Westerfeld | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 12/9/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, December 24, 2011
I've enjoyed several of Westerfeld's books, especially Peeps, but hadn't dipped into his "Uglies" series yet. I found this fair-condition softcover of the third volume in the series among the charity-sale books at a local Hannaford's, and decided to give it a try. (It opens with a charming little dedication "to all the fans who've written me about this series. Thanks for telling me what was right, what was wrong, and which bits made you throw the book across the room. (You know who you are.)" Hee!)

The book does not include a "story so far" summary up front, so I did find it helpful to look up synopses of the first two books first. The premise of Uglies reminded me of a "Twilight Zone" episode, "Number Twelve Looks Just Like You" - there's a utopian society in which young people are put through a procedure to become "Pretties", but one girl doesn't want to change. Unlike the "Twilight Zone" story, the protagonist of Uglies, Tally, *does* want the change; it's her close friend who doesn't want it, and whose actions eventually result in Tally learning some unpleasant truths about the society she lives in. By the events of this book, Tally has gone from becoming a Pretty to the next stage, a Special - but now she finds herself a brainwashed tool of the government, hunting those who don't want to be transformed. (The prejudices and built-in distaste for anyone of a lower class than their own come across all to clearly here.)

There are personal and romantic complications along with the political ones, and all in all it's quite a messy situation; is there any way to fix their "utopia" without causing worse problems than those they want to fix?

[There's a TV Tropes page for the series, with some interesting items - but beware of spoilers. And it seems that there's a film version of "Uglies", the first book, in development...]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (1/22/2014 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to the Teen bookbox, which will be on its way to its next stop soon. Hope someone enjoys this!

Journal Entry 3 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, April 15, 2014
This book returned in the Teens Shrinking Bookbox.
My daughter, RCOUFAN and I will look through and read/release or pass on the books in some way. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 4 by JennyC1230 at Little Free Library #5161 in Acworth, Georgia USA on Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (6/14/2016 UTC) at Little Free Library #5161 in Acworth, Georgia USA

Left in the Little Free Library #5161 in Acworth, Georgia. Enjoy the book! 😀