The Lost Explorer: Finding Mallory on Mt. Everest

by Conrad Anker | Sports |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 12/9/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, December 10, 2011
I found this fair-condition trade paperback at the local Salvation Army thrift shop, and as I'd enjoyed the book when I first read it I was glad to find another release copy.

This is an account of the discovery of the long-frozen body of famed climber George Mallory, where he had lain high on Everest for 75 years. While it's long been known that bodies can survive for a very long time up there, frozen and mummified, most remains are eventually blown off the mountain or fall into glaciers to be found as fragments if at all. And for one of the most famous climbers in history, whose disappearance was one of the classic accounts of mountaineering, to be discovered after so long - and surprisingly beautiful, his back and shoulders resembling a marble statue more than anything else - is high drama of the most emotional kind. Ankers' account describes the original Everest expeditions, the disappearance of Mallory and Ervine, the process by which the location of the body was determined, and the actual discovery. [Descriptions of other bodies found along the way only emphasize the danger of the high places.]

I also appreciated co-author Roberts' references to Mallory descendants, some of whom were friends of his; it's easy to think of Mallory as from a far-distant past, forgetting that as of the time of writing, there were people still living who'd known him...

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, December 11, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (12/12/2011 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this to a small box of books I'm sending to MaryZee in Maryland, for release at her OBCZ or elsewhere. Hope someone enjoys it!

Journal Entry 3 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, December 25, 2011
Since I enjoy reading tales about adventures and mountaineering, I think I need to read this one before setting it free. I've previously enjoyed reading Into Thin Air and The Climb. Hopefully this won't be on my personal Mt. TBR too long. Thanks again, Gory!

Journal Entry 4 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Wednesday, July 04, 2012
I enjoyed the two different perspectives of this book. Through David Roberts, the reader gets to know Mallory, his life, his climbing adventures, and his last trek to Everest. Also we get to know those he climbed with and their strengths/weaknesses. Through Conrad Anker, we get a very different perspective, that of the climber who was able to find Mallory. It's been a while since I read Into Thin Air and The Climb, and this brought me back to that world of extreme danger that these men find fulfilling.

Thanks for sharing this with me, GoryD! This is reserved for a RABCK in a few months, for which I need some more adventure and non-fiction books. This will fit in nicely with this theme.

Journal Entry 5 by wing6of8wing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Monday, June 04, 2018
Sadly, MaryZee passed suddenly in September 2012. MaryZee's daughter is now ready to rehome her mom's books and I was willing to collect and redistribute them to keep her literary legacy alive.

Journal Entry 6 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Tuesday, July 31, 2018
MaryZee was an incredible evangelist for BookCrossing, and she is greatly missed by many in this community of book lovers. I am honored to be able to call her my friend and it is a privilege to be able to help share her books with the world.

I searched through the book I received to find those that were registered by others. These books have been lingering in a BookCrossing limbo for long enough, and I want free them into the world again.

Journal Entry 7 by wingResQgeekwing at Starbucks (Ballenger Ave.) in Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, August 13, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (8/13/2018 UTC) at Starbucks (Ballenger Ave.) in Alexandria, Virginia USA

Left on one of the tables outside the shop.

======================

DEAR FINDER,

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 8 by ashmac0920 at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, August 13, 2018
I just picked up the book outside of Starbucks and can't wait to read it! This is such a cool concept. I will definitely be releasing some of my old books out into the world to travel now.

Journal Entry 9 by ashmac0920 at Herndon, Virginia USA on Friday, October 12, 2018

Released 8 mos ago (10/12/2018 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

I put it in a shared library box in downtown Herndon.