The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove

by Christopher Moore | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by HoserLauren of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 12/7/2011
Journal Entry 1 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, December 07, 2011
Purchased as a birthday gift for myself.

From Chapters:
The town psychiatrist has decided to switch everybody in Pine Cove, California, from their normal antidepressants to placebos, so naturally-well, to be accurate, artificially-business is booming at the local blues bar. Trouble is, those lonely slide-guitar notes have also attracted a colossal sea beast named Steve with, shall we say, a thing for explosive oil tanker trucks. Suddenly, morose Pine Cove turns libidinous and is hit by a mysterious crime wave, and a beleaguered constable has to fight off his own gonzo appetites to find out what's wrong and what, if anything, to do about it.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, December 19, 2011
Most of the residents of Pine Cove are on anti-depressants, as prescribed by the local psychiatrist Dr. Val Riordan. But when one of her patients allegedly commits suicide, Dr. Val thinks that maybe it's a better idea for none of her patients to be on medicine and forces them to take placebos. But a sudden, very weird, event causes a few people to go missing and seems to cause the entire city to become horny. The event turns out to be a giant sea-dragon coming out of the sea to seek revenge on a man that killed one of his family members.

Typical to all Christopher Moore books, this quirky tale is completely off the wall but still incredibly entertaining. I found that there were a bit too many characters to keep track of in this novel. I don't think Mavis, the bar owner, was a necessary character and things could have been cut out to reduce the confusion to the reader. There's usually a laugh-out-loud point of all Moore books but I didn't find that with this book.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 11, 2012
When one of psychiatrist's Dr. Val Riordan patients commits suicide, she decides to switch everyone on anti-depressants to placebos and do more talk therapy than drug therapy. This increases business in the local bar and the bar owner brings in a blues singer. This blues singer happened to have killed some sea monster's family and Steve the monster in question comes calling looking for the blues singer and food and sex.

This is a bizarre horror story. A horror story that is quirky and funny. Typical Christopher Moore with Pardon Me moments and just plain silliness, I found it to be very entertaining and off the wall funny

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, June 09, 2012
Back with me.

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 25, 2012
Mailed today to zzz from the VBB

Journal Entry 6 by zzz at Rakovica, City of Belgrade Serbia on Monday, September 10, 2012
It arrived safely. Thank you Lauren!

Journal Entry 7 by zzz at Rakovica, City of Belgrade Serbia on Sunday, January 24, 2016
I've read this one 2013 but never posted journal entry (I did it on Goodreads) and now I'm preparing few books to release in one Hostel here in Belgrade run by a friend who gave me permission to do so. I thought it would be a good releasing spot since it'll be exposed to foreigners (i.e. native English speakers) who visits Belgrade.

This book will be released in memory of AceofHearts, a dear friend with whom I shared many books and who as you can see, also read this one.

And here is my impression copy/pasted from goodreads:

Lovely, goofy as always. Of course Moore is insane and that's why we love him. I liked the characters, the humour, the utterly ridiculous plot. It was really quite fun.