The Yiddish Policemen's Union

by Michael Chabon | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingjudygreeneyeswing of San Diego, California USA on 12/4/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingjudygreeneyeswing from San Diego, California USA on Sunday, December 4, 2011
"Nothing links person to person like the frequent passage from hand to hand of a good book."

I have two copies of this book, so one of them can go travelling to find a new reader. This book is highly recommended by so many good sources -- I hope to get to it soon. This author won a Pulitzer Prize for one of his previous books.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Tuesday, May 21, 2024
"They are the 'frozen Chosen,' two million people living, dying and kvetching in Sitka, Alaska, the temporary homeland established for displaced World War II Jews in Chabon's ambitious and entertaining novel. It is—deep breath now—a murder-mystery speculative-history Jewish-identity noir chess thriller..." Jess Walter, Publisher's Weekly

I adored this book. The Yiddish all the way through it, the sheer Jewishness of it, is funny and endearing. I don't know how someone unfamiliar with Yiddish would respond to it, but it really resonated with me. The story of a murder investigation is interesting, but the overarching idea of this alternate future where the Jews have a temporary homeland in Sitka, Alaska -- priceless. Meyer Landsman is a great protagonist, being a detective and a man whose life is a shambles. Highly recommended. I read it on audio, the narrator was excellent.