A Blessing on the Moon

by Joseph Skibell | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 11/28/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, November 28, 2011
This book was chosen from The Book Thing of Baltimore, an organization which distributes gently used books free to the community.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, May 16, 2018
This book. Wow! Amazing! I'd never before heard of either this book or the author. I found it a while ago at The Book Thing of Baltimore. It looked interesting so I grabbed it. I'd just finished a light, funny book so I was in the mood for reading something deeper. Deeper it was. It starts in wartime Poland in which an entire community of Jews are executed and left dead in a giant pit. One of the Jews starts moving and rattles to life. Or is it life? No, it seems he's still dead, but he has the ability to scramble out of the pit and move around. His first stop is the house that used to belong to him and his family. There he finds a Polish family so he moves in unseen (as he must be a ghost? Right? Or not?) and lives among this family.

This, I soon discover is a truly horrifying and imaginative Holocaust novel. It turns into a fable (or maybe not?). In any case, it is totally different from any other wartime novel I have ever read.

One of the characters I loved from this book was the Rebbe...who became a crow! His idea was to take all of the Jews who were able to come back from the dead to The World to Come (that is, if there is/was/will be such a place. Who knows?)

I'd rather not give away the rest of this story. Should you usually opt out of reading Holocaust literature, you might want to give this book a try as it's not violent and is extremely creative.

I'm releasing this book for the following challenge:

** The 2018 Tick Tock Challenge hosted by Dragon Goddess. The book title contains the word MOON.

-------------------------------------------------

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Journal Entry 5 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, December 02, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (12/2/2018 UTC) at Rockville, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this to a friend of mine from Staunton, Virginia, USA.

---------------------------------------
I'm releasing this book for the following challenge:

***The 2018 What's in a Name Release Challenge. The title of the book includes the names BLESSING, LES, LE, ON (X2), MO and MOON.

-------------------------------------------------

Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!