Shadows of the Workhouse

by Jennifer Worth | Nonfiction |
Registered by footymadgill of Croydon, Surrey United Kingdom on 11/19/2011
Journal Entry 1 by footymadgill from Croydon, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, November 19, 2011
The second book in the Midwife series

Journal Entry 2 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, October 17, 2012
What a thoughtful surprise, dear footmadgill! Not only was this great book in the package, but an enormous multipack of my favourite Trebor Peppermints, and a very sweet card with a funny cover.
Best wishes back across the pond to you as well!
Thank you!

Journal Entry 3 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, October 18, 2012
I just noticed that DentriticTrees has this on her wish list, so after I read it, it will continue its journey with another Calgary Bookcrosser.
Great choice, Footymadgill, thank you again!

Journal Entry 4 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 28, 2013
Halfway through this book and totally loving it. Life in the workhouse is horrendous!!! Loved the part about Peggy and Frank, this one of the few episodes of Call the Midwife that I have seen, and it was touching to read. I am so looking forward to passing this book on to share this amazing story!!!!!

Journal Entry 5 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 02, 2013
Another Saturday morning, another quiet coffee and another lovely book closed for the last time. Thank you, my dear Footymadgill, for taking me to a place that I would never imagined. Jennifer Worth writes with so much love and compassion for the people she looked after, she puts a face to the story of the thousands of the nameless people of post-war London. I will never forget Jane, Peggy and Frank, and of course the old soldier Mr Collett.
This book will continue next week at the local meetup.

Thank you, Gill!

Journal Entry 6 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 02, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (2/9/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

From across the pond to the foothills of the Canadian Rockies, where will this lovely book travel next?

Are you in the Calgary area and interested in meeting up with other Calgary BookCrossers? Please check out our Facebook group, "BookCrossing Calgary" for details on how. Meetings are held on the second Saturday of every month at the Joshua Tree Cafe on Edmonton Trail N.E. starting at 11am. New and experienced Bookcrossers are always welcome.

Journal Entry 7 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 09, 2013
Picked up at the February meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers at the Joshua Tree Café.

Journal Entry 8 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, December 31, 2013
Wow - that was an amazing trilogy of true stories, from a time we cannot imagine.

I found Part 1 - Workhouse Children, to be almost unbearable to read. These infants and children basically born into slavery. We think of Dicken's writing as distant fiction, but it was a shock to realize how long these workhouses existed into the 20th century.

Part 2 - The Trial of Sister Monica Joan, provided almost a comic relief and I enjoyed it very much.

Part 3 - The Old Soldier was a touching sentiment to the compassion of a young nurse, the author.

Thank you for sharing such a touching book. I will be taking this to the next meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers.

Journal Entry 9 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (1/11/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

This book is going to the January meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers, so that it can find a new reader.

Journal Entry 10 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, August 03, 2014
I delayed starting this as I thought it would be very depressing. Finally decided it was time. Depressing? Yes. Funny? Yes. Insightful? Yes. Glad I read it ? Yes. Thanks for sharing this.

Journal Entry 11 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, September 12, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (9/13/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this book for the C is for Children's theme September meeting at Cravings.

Journal Entry 12 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, September 16, 2014
Picked up at get together

Journal Entry 13 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 11, 2016
I've read Farewell to Eastend, and was looking forward to this one as well. I was expecting there to be a bit more stories directly related to the workhouses, but it becomes obvious how isolated the people in them were and how little documentation of their own lives exist.

I loved the stories and the insights they gave to the lives at that time, and I thought the writing style of the author was excellent and captured the emotions nicely. The different stories made me sometimes laugh and sometimes cry.

Thanks for the great read!

Journal Entry 14 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 10, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (12/10/2016 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to get together

Journal Entry 15 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, December 11, 2016
Picked up at the December meeting.

Journal Entry 16 by megami-no-ushi at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 13, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (1/13/2018 UTC) at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the January meeting! A really eye opening book but beautifully and sympathetically told.

To the finder:

Journal Entry 17 by B-Lynn at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 20, 2018
Caught at last book club meeting

Journal Entry 18 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 13, 2018
Brought this home from the May BookCrossing meeting.