Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles

by Michael Moorcock | Audiobooks |
Registered by Schneefee of Hagen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on 11/11/2011
Journal Entry 1 by Schneefee from Hagen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, November 11, 2011
as this will probably be the only audiobook longer than 1 CD you can buy on actual CDs I was very keen to get it in London, so I ran from one bookstore to another, skimmed shelves and piles to get it somewhere.

amazon.de-Kurzbeschreibung
Miggea - a world on the very edge of reality. The cusp between this universe and the next. And the venue for the grand finals of the competition to win the fabled Arrow of Law. The Doctor and Amy have joined the Terraphiles - a group obsessed with Earth's history, and dedicated to re-enacting ancient sporting events. They are determined to win the Arrow. But just getting to Miggea proves tricky. Reality is collapsing, ships are disappearing, and Captain Cornelius and his crew of pirates are looking for easy pickings. Even when they arrive, the Doctor and Amy's troubles won't be over. They must find out who is so desperate to get the Arrow of Law that they will kill for it. And uncover the traitor on their own team. And win the contest fair and square. And, of course, they need to save the universe from total destruction...Featuring the Doctor and Amy as played by Matt Smith and Karen Gillan in the hit series from BBC Television. Clive Mantle reads this gripping novel by the award-winning Michael Moorcock, featuring the 11th Doctor and Amy.

since I'm not a big Moorcock-Fan I can't get any satisfaction from this kind of cross-over, and although the story AND the narrator are really good I somehow never lost the slight ... hm ... disappointment that there are neither the 11th Doctor nor Amy acting. I think there are also some errors that probably aren't intended because of some twmporal taifun? At least, I had had that with another BBC-audiobook some years ago.
Furthermore, I miss Rory :-(

The Eye of the jungle
The Rebel Flesh
The Almost People
A Good Man Goes To War

Journal Entry 2 by Schneefee at Herdecke, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (4/11/2013 UTC) at Herdecke, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

nur 17 Monate später als geplant ist es per Post auf dem Weg zu RikkiDD - ich hoffe, die "Hups, sorry!"-Beigaben trösten über die lange Wartezeit hinweg!

Journal Entry 3 by wingRikkiDDwing at Dresden, Sachsen Germany on Monday, May 06, 2013
It took the TARDIS a bit to reach this destination, but it found a tea shop along the route. Thanks for sending this box and this nice surprise.

Journal Entry 4 by wingRikkiDDwing at Dresden, Sachsen Germany on Tuesday, September 10, 2013
It took me a while to find the time for this audiobook. Unfortunately there is a "bug" in the very first file and my computer and as well as my stereo refuse to play it.
Is there anything we can do about it?

Journal Entry 5 by wingRikkiDDwing at Dresden, Sachsen Germany on Thursday, November 07, 2013
A few days ago I got the new copy. And it works!
Now I started hearing this audiobook. It is a bit hard to follow. But I don't want to delay it any further. So I copied the last files and the travel can go on.
The two bonus audiobooks will be heard afterwards.

Journal Entry 6 by wingRikkiDDwing at Dresden, Sachsen Germany on Thursday, November 07, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (11/7/2013 UTC) at Dresden, Sachsen Germany

Sorry for the long time these audiobooks stayed with me. Now it is time to let the others enjoy them.

Journal Entry 7 by toshokanin at Dresden, Sachsen Germany on Sunday, November 10, 2013
the TARDIS landed save and sound and I'm looking forward to meeting the Doctor again

Journal Entry 8 by toshokanin at Dresden, Sachsen Germany on Friday, December 20, 2013
What a disappoinment! I did't like this audiobook much. Boring and virtually endless. And, yes, not much Doctor and Amy in the story.

Journal Entry 9 by toshokanin at Dresden, Sachsen Germany on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Released 7 yrs ago (1/23/2014 UTC) at Dresden, Sachsen Germany

weiter zur Henkerin

Journal Entry 10 by DieHenkerin at Hohenhameln, Niedersachsen Germany on Monday, January 27, 2014
Wohlbehalten und in netter Gesellschaft bei mir angekommen. :) Dankeschön!

Ich finde leider einfach nicht die Muße zum Hören, deshalb darf der Doctor nun weiterreisen...

Journal Entry 11 by DieHenkerin at Hohenhameln, Niedersachsen Germany on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (4/30/2014 UTC) at Hohenhameln, Niedersachsen Germany

Reist mit der Schneckenpost weiter...

Journal Entry 12 by wingdelfinnettiwing at Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, May 03, 2014
The Audiobook arrived save and sound today. It was accompanied by quite a lot of other Doctor Who audiobooks - some I have already heard. I´m sure all the new ones will be very fast listened to, since the last new Doctor story was in cinema in november... I´m on cold turkey ;-) Thank you for mailing the audiobooks and for making a bookring of them.
(either I´m blind or I´m short two BCIDs for "The way through the woods" and "Dead of Winter"...)

Edit 13.07.2014:
Schneefee has told me that it´s intentional that the two audiobooks are along for the ride...
About "The way through the woods: Very suspencefull, even though the Doctor dosen´t feature as much as I would´ve liked. He was indisposed with the police most of the time. Aside from that very enjoyable and suspencefull story!
About "Dead of winter": too confusing with the letters and the diary and everything from half a dozen points of view, even after it turns out that for the first half of the story Rory was the Docter and vice versa. I lost track of the story repeatedly even though the only thing to distract me was the nonexistent traffic on the motorway during the game between Germany and whoever (letztes Vorrundenspiel). Usually listening to an audiobook in the car is the least distracting and the most enjoyable, but I just could´nt keep up with the story...
Now I´m at this one... I quite enjoyed the Elric - Series of this author. Let´s see if he makes as good as a Doctor-writer... I´m at the spot where there is a hatnapping about to take place... This story is so far better to keep up with than the Dead of winter, but it promisses to be a long and complicated one (we have to do A to get B to bring to C to even find out what this is all about...?) But it starts out funny, so I´ll keep goning.

Journal Entry 13 by wingdelfinnettiwing at Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, September 06, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (9/5/2014 UTC) at Siegen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

On thursday I finally came around to send these audio-book on to the next person. Phoenixfeather said "Deep Brath" really got her back into the Doctor - fever ... Sorry for keeping them so long, thanks again for the ring and fun to everyone who is yet to listen to these.

Journal Entry 14 by phoenixfeather at Eltville, Hessen Germany on Monday, September 22, 2014
Päckchen ist gesund und munter angekommen! So viele schöne neue Hörbücher, freue mich schon sehr drauf, neue Abenteuer miterleben zu dürfen. :) Und so eine stimmige Postkarte noch dazu... Ich bin SEHR gespannt drauf, was Moorcock wohl mit dem Doctor vorhat.