Little Women

Registered by whiskeyjane of Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on 11/7/2011
Journal Entry 1 by whiskeyjane from Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Monday, November 07, 2011
Fully illustrated and adapted.
FROM BACK COVER: Little Women is the story of four girls - pretty Meg, headstrong Jo, sweet Beth, and spoiled Amy - growing up with plenty of spirit but little money during the Civil War era in New England. Little Women is more than a story. It is a timeless book of lessons, a classic tale of laughter and tears, and a tribute to home and family.

Journal Entry 2 by whiskeyjane at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Monday, November 07, 2011
WELCOME TO BOOKCROSSING Congratulations! You found a traveling book! This book has been set free. It is yours to keep or share. Please take a moment to make a journal entry to let me know the book has found a new home.

Journal Entry 3 by whiskeyjane at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA on Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (5/7/2013 UTC) at Albuquerque, New Mexico USA

Added to JennyC1230's ABC book box. In the mail 05/07/2013.

Journal Entry 4 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Monday, August 05, 2013
I found this copy in the ABC book box. This is the story I think I have read the most times in my life. I don't usually read books a second time, but I have read this one maybe 4 or 5 times, loving it just as much each time. Just wanted to make a journal entry so I can watch it travel. It's going back into the box to find a new reader.

Journal Entry 5 by k00kaburra at San Jose, California USA on Monday, November 04, 2013
This book enjoyed a brief stop in San Jose, CA before continuing its journey in the ABC Bookbox!

I have a copy of this book in my permanent collection.

Little Women is one of my most favorite books ever! (Although I really need to re-read it...it's been ages!) I read the story when I was extremely young and enjoyed it, and when I was older I even starred as Jo in a play of it.

I know a lot of people dislike Alcott's preachy tone (it drove me batty in Eight Cousins) but it works just fine with this story. The characters and incidents are simply unforgettable!

This is book no. 863 on the "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" list.

Journal Entry 6 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, November 22, 2013
This book returned in my ABC Bookbox. I read this one ages ago, I remember that I liked the story. I related most to Jo. ;-) This one is ready to travel.

Journal Entry 7 by JennyC1230 at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (1/15/2014 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book is starting out in the Teens Shrinking Bookbox.

Journal Entry 8 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, January 21, 2014
I'm taking this condensed version of the classic novel from the Teens Bookbox. [It's inspired a number of film adaptations, of which the 1933 version is my favorite.]

Later: I'm not generally fond of condensed books, but sometimes a well-adapted version can introduce a classic tale to younger readers. However, this book does cheat a good deal; it does not contain the entire story, stopping well short of key events in the book. As the last line states, "And so the curtain falls - for now - upon Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy in this first act of the story called Little Women." If the title actually included some mention of the fact that this was not merely a condensation but a truncation of the novel I might not have minded so much, but as it is, I don't care for it. Granted, [spoiler: this way the book ends with Beth still alive, and since Jo hasn't even gone to New York yet she hasn't met Professor Bhaer, so the book also leaves the reader with the impression that she's going to wind up with Laurie. If only there were a bit "Part 1" in the title to avoid the impression that this is the entire story!]

[There's a TV Tropes page for the novel, with comments on some of the adaptationsl]

Released 5 yrs ago (1/31/2014 UTC) at Reading Children statue, Milford Oval in Milford, New Hampshire USA

I left this book, bagged against the elements, on the "Reading Children" statue in the Oval at around 4; hope the finder enjoys it!

*** Released as part of the 2014 Movie release challenge. ***