Kipligat's Chance

I am Canadian, eh!
by David Odhiambo | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by Vapermom of Trenton, Ontario Canada on 10/31/2011
Journal Entry 1 by Vapermom from Trenton, Ontario Canada on Monday, February 27, 2012
From Publishers Weekly
John "Leeds" Kipligat, the 17-year-old Kenyan émigré narrator of Odhiambo's earnest but awkward second novel (after diss/ed banded nation), would love a way out of his blighted Vancouver housing project. Along with his best friend Kulvinder, "the Punjabi equivalent of Shaft," Leeds joins the Achilles Track Club, where, coached by aphoristic, beer-bellied ex-Olympian Sam Holt, he tries to earn an athletic scholarship to a U.S. college. He also navigates the churning waters of adolescence—girls, school, fights with parents ("Why can't they leave me alone?")—familiar territory that, coupled with the slangy casualness of the prose ("School is a real downer. This being the day I'm in and out of science labs"), can give the story a YA feel. In brief flashbacks, we learn about the comfortable (and corruption-supported) life that the Kipligats lived in Kenya, and of a revered older brother, Koech, an activist and a promising runner himself, whose absence (he mysteriously disappeared amid violent political upheaval) haunts the story and drives Leeds toward his goal. This briskly paced story offers an energetic sincerity and sympathetic characters, but the dialogue can feel wooden, dramatization is often neglected in favor of summary, and serious issues—including poverty and self-mutilation—are paid only perfunctory attention. This is a slightly undercooked novel, but its writer shows promise.

Journal Entry 2 by Vapermom at -- Controlled Release in Kingston, Ontario Canada on Thursday, March 10, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (3/10/2016 UTC) at -- Controlled Release in Kingston, Ontario Canada

Welcome to Bookcrossing. Thank you for catching this book! I hope you enjoy it and will consider exploring this site and possibly joining. It's free and loads of fun, as you can track your released books in their travels, possibly all over the world! Please let us know that you've found the book, what you thought of it and if possible, where you might re-release it when you're done so it can continue its journey. Reading it is not required, though is encouraged. You may remain anonymous, but if you choose to join up I hope you will consider using me, vapermom, as the one who referred you.