The Wildfire Season

by Andrew Pyper | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 000200562X Global Overview for this book
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 10/30/2011
Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, October 30, 2011
I found this book at the Millennium Library book sale and I knew it was a book that had been recommended by the Globe and Mail when it was published. On the back of the book is the following quote from the Globe and Mail:
Exquisite...Pyper's writing moves fluidly from caustic wit to moments of striking insight and beauty.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, March 16, 2013
On the front cover of this book is a quote by Guy Vanderhaeghe, a writer I really admire:
A literary page-turner that possesses all the attributes of the wildfire it describes--headlong momentum and harrowing surprises. It is a rarity, a bracing mix of physical adventure and astute psychological portraiture.
Vanderhaeghe has captured what I felt about this book perfectly with language that I only wish I could write.

Miles McEwan is the chief of a fire fighting crew in Ross River, Yukon. It's been a hot dry summer but the crew hasn't had any fires to fight. Unless something starts soon they won't have any money to keep them going over the winter. Someone, we don't know whom, is taking care of that by starting a fire. By the time this fire is out lives will have been changed and some will have been snuffed out.

Into the small village of Ross River come four strangers. Two come to Ross River to hunt a grizzly. The Baders are from the southern US. Mr. Bader retired recently and his dream has always been to kill a "Boone and Crockett Kodiak". Margot Lemontagne will guide them up into the mountains around Ross River to find that grizzly. The other two strangers come to find Miles. Alex and Miles were once lovers. Then Miles, while heading a fire crew in B.C., lost a crew member and was badly scarred himself in a horrific fire. Alex stood by him during his recovery and subsequent depression but Miles couldn't forgive himself. When Alex told Miles that she was pregnant Miles took off, echoing the abandonment by his own father. Alex, with her daughter Rachel, have spent every summer since looking for Miles and now she has found him.

The smallest details add to the narrative. Miles has a dog, Stump, that Rachel latches onto. This relationship between the girl and the dog makes a crucial difference in the story but at the beginning it seems like just a throwaway piece of description. I never felt that anything was extraneous or wasted.

Once the wildfire starts raging out of control I couldn't put the book down. I felt like I was right there with Miles and the hunters and the grizzly as they all contend with nature run amok.

I can't say enough good about this book. Read it yourself.

This book will be reserved for the Canada Days release challenge.

Journal Entry 3 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Thursday, June 13, 2013
Received this Wish-List book from Gypsysmom on her visit to Minnesota. Thanks! I'm looking forward to reading it.