Happy International BookCrossing Day!
It's a special day for BookCrossing and we hope you'll make it a good one. Ballycumber just posted a short message in the Announcements forum, you can read it here.

Blindness (Movie Tie-In)

by Jose Saramago | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingjudygreeneyeswing of San Diego, California USA on 10/22/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingjudygreeneyeswing from San Diego, California USA on Saturday, October 22, 2011
"Nothing links person to person like the frequent passage from hand to hand of a good book."

This was a most unusual story. It's perhaps more of a parable than anything else. The premise is not so much unbelievable as just strange, I could believe that something like this could happen due to a virus or something else. I think that the government behaved rather strangely, although we learn more about why that happened after the people originally incarcerated become free. Basically everyone (nearly everyone) has succumbed. I wasn't bothered by the lack of names as I might be in other stories, the author was truly masterful in his writing. I'm not sure I liked the ending, but I'm also not sure how else it could have ended. I'd like to know what type of life people had afterward. I do plan to find more books by this author. I'd also love to see the movie.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Saturday, October 22, 2011

Released 12 yrs ago (10/22/2011 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

This copy is off to oppem by mail for the Tag Game that I am very late in fulfilling :( Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingoppemwing at Hermiston, Oregon USA on Monday, October 31, 2011
Thanks so much for tagging me with this wishlist book ...
I look forward to 'the read'.

Journal Entry 4 by wingoppemwing at Hermiston, Oregon USA on Monday, February 6, 2012
A disturbing story about a place that goes un- named that could be anywhere and characters that also go un-named so could be anyone of us.
Given this premise, the reader can construct his own place and characters into the events.
Mould this location to wherever you wish and now watch closely as society totally disintegrates due to nearly everyone succumbing to blindness. We watch as the weak get trampled upon and as will always happen some turn to crime to gain the upper hand.
Our little band of main characters give us a glimmer of hope for humanity as they bond together for the good of the group.
Towards the very end of the book when society has reached it's lowest point we watch as the doctor's wife descends 'into hell' ( searching for food) and then ends up shortly after inside a church where all the monuments / icons have their eyes covered - even God appears to have turned his eyes away from the world.
I found this a difficult book to read as the author chose to use very little punctuation, maybe to make us feel the confusion of blindness ?.
I also confess to being somewhat overwhelmed with the author's philosophizing at times. This was my first book by Saramago and would now at some point like to read the sequal, "Seeing".

Journal Entry 5 by wingoppemwing at Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Released 12 yrs ago (2/9/2012 UTC) at Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates

You have been tagged - enjoy the read & thanks for waiting while I read it first.

Journal Entry 6 by DubaiReader at Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on Tuesday, February 21, 2012
Thanks to Oppem and Judygreeneyes for this book from the Tag Game.

No problem about the delay - plenty here awaiting my attention :)

Journal Entry 7 by DubaiReader at Dubai, Dubai United Arab Emirates on Saturday, October 26, 2019
I now have an e copy of this book so I'm sending this on its way again. In a couple of weeks it will be donated to a book sale that sells books to help the cats of the city. Whether or not it gets journalled, it will have gone to a good home and helped cats at the same time :)