A Winter in Ravensdale

by Kate Fielding | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by undine1210 of Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on 10/19/2011
Journal Entry 1 by undine1210 from Wien Bezirk 21 - Floridsdorf, Wien Austria on Wednesday, October 19, 2011
ein fundstück von einem bücherflohmarkt

Journal Entry 2 by Colombina at Solingen, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, October 22, 2011

Diesem Buch konnte ich beim gestrigen Bookcrosser-Treffen in Solingen einfach nicht widerstehen...:-)
Vielen lieben Dank, undine1210!

Journal Entry 3 by Colombina at Wuppertal, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Sunday, December 25, 2011

A well-written mystery, more about the feelings and the relationships between the people involved than a typical who-done-it novel: When the body of Jim Blackwood, recently arrived in the Dales with his wife Ellie and Paul Miller to open an outdoor pursuits centre at Ravenscar Hall, is found in a frozen tarn, Dr Gerald Scott signs the death certificate a little too quickly...

Journal Entry 4 by Colombina at RABCK, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (12/27/2011 UTC) at RABCK, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

This book is now travelling by post as a wishlist RABCK for a bookcrosser in Norway.
-------------------------
Happy reading :-)!

Journal Entry 5 by mirthful at Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Sunday, January 15, 2012
Thank you so much for sending me this book, Colombina! It was just the ticket as some light reading along with a much heavier book I'm trying to get through - and perfect for the season as well. Not quite finished yet, but will of course pass it on to someone else once I'm done.

Journal Entry 6 by mirthful at Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Monday, January 16, 2012
A Winter in Ravensdale by Kate Fielding is eminently readable, that has to be said. I zipped through it this weekend, despite not really having a lot of time to read.

It's Laura Grant's second winter working as a doctor in rural Yorkshire, the story picks up somewhere after Ravensdale left off. Though Laura is undoubtedly the "main character", the narrative in this book is spread out over a lot of different people and stories, more so than the first one (as far as I can remember). I was particularly interested in Aimee and her relationship to her parents, but felt like Fielding tried rather than succeeded at dealing with the issues there. Aimee's mother is especially invisible, and although I realise this is part of Aimee's "quarrel" - that her father is too domineering and her mother just a foil for him - I think the story could have been made more interesting if we were treated to her mother's point of view, too (see, I can't even remember if she is named by name in the story).

There are also some relatively gruesome - or tragic - things going on, this is a crime story of sorts, in fact, that leave me more unconcerned than I think I'm meant to be.

Still, it's a nice read, and reading about the Yorkshire Dales still classifies as Not A Bad Thing.

Anyway, I'll be passing this Bookcrossing copy on (give a shout if you want it), and I'll be looking for the next (and, I think, last) book in the series.

Journal Entry 7 by mirthful at OBCZ Kafe Gjest Baardsen in Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (8/18/2015 UTC) at OBCZ Kafe Gjest Baardsen in Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway

Har hatt opprydding i hylla og det er på tide at denne får reise videre.