Spoken Soul: The Story of Black English

by John Russell Rickford | Nonfiction |
ISBN: 047132356X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingkayotewing of Champaign, Illinois USA on 7/28/2018
Journal Entry 1 by wingkayotewing from Champaign, Illinois USA on Saturday, July 28, 2018
This was amazing and eye opening look into the history (and linguistic rules) of Black English. They also talk about where it influences "standard" English in rhythms of oration--rhythms which are often lauded even as Black English is derided.

This is written by a journalist and a linguist, and the linguistic really helps prove the points that this is a consistent dialect with rules. I admit, the chapter that was all detailed linguistics I mostly skipped, but I very much enjoyed the rest of the book and I feel I'm a better citizen of the country since I read it--because I learned a bunch about a large population I didn't know and can appreciate something better. If you enjoy a southern drawl, you shouldn't lump Black English into a lower bucket.

I have had this on my keeper shelf for a while, but a move convinced me I needed fewer keeper things. I also want to see more people read this, so I'm registering and releasing it!

Journal Entry 2 by wingkayotewing at Urbana, Illinois USA on Sunday, July 29, 2018
My neighbors were having a garage sale, so I put out a "free" box and put this in. It was gone when I brought the box in.

Enjoy!