Earth Made of Glass

by John Barnes | Science Fiction & Fantasy | This book has not been rated.
Registered by -solaria- of Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on 10/11/2011
Journal Entry 1 by -solaria- from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, October 11, 2011
Sequel to A Million Open Doors.

"At the furthest reaches of the galaxy exists The Thousand Cultures, run by humans and drawing together through the new technology of instantaneous travel. Giraut and Margaret work as professional diplomats, easing the entry of new and diverse societies into The Thousand Cultures. Their new mission is to prevent war between two cultures on the terrifyingly hostile world of Briand, all the time battling its harsh environment and trying not to let the strain of the task affect their own relationship."

I found this book very enjoyable. I read it slowly in order to savour it and I thought about it a lot afterwards. The end was... engrossing. It was also refreshing that the main characters were ordinary middle-aged couple, one with thinning hair and the other with sagging breasts, who have their own marital problems. Giraut was also pretty clueless towards the end, which was slightly annoying (why didn't he notice what was happening to Margaret?). In addition, you can't help comparing the Briand situation with Israel/Palestine and/or North Ireland.

Journal Entry 2 by -solaria- at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, November 30, 2011
I'm sending this book forward as a book-ring inside Finland. You can join by sending me PM.

1. Please journal the book to say you have received it.
3. Read the book within one month and tell how you liked it.
2. PM the next person on the list for their address.
4. Post to next person on list.

The book-ring participants are:
hippolein (Helsinki)
Kemppu (Tampere)
rifter (Isokyrö)

Journal Entry 3 by -solaria- at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (12/7/2011 UTC) at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland

The book ring started, and the book is on its way to the first person.

I hope you all enjoy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by winghippoleinwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, December 18, 2011
Oho, it seems I forgot to make a JE when the book arrived, sorry!

The book is now read, managed to enjoy it during the many trips to town and back looking for Christmas things ;)

I liked it actually better than the first one, the persons and events seem more logical and in all the situation of the main characters is something that could happen anywhere. The end was something I didn't see come at all, so totally like put on there because the number of pages that was to be written was going to come soon. If they ever made a sequel on this book, it would be worth reading it ;)

EDIT: I have the next two books of the series at home, but will take a while before I get to reading them, and they are hardcover versions...

Journal Entry 5 by winghippoleinwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (1/26/2012 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

RING
--------------------------

Anteeksi että kesti niin kauan, perheessä useita ongelmia samanaikaisesti.
Toivottavasti tämä mahtuu nyt postilaatikkoon, kun on juuri sinne rajalla...

Journal Entry 6 by Kemppu at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, January 27, 2012
The book is here! Thanks, I'm going to read it asap.

Journal Entry 7 by Kemppu at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, February 16, 2012
I've now read and enjoyed the book. There were lots of things to ponder, the clashes of cultures, the problem of boredom, whether it is right to try to make more or less a monoculture out of all the diverse cultures of humankind, and how to maintain one's relationship in difficult circumstances.
I don't know which book to prefer, this or A Million Open Doors. I liked the overall story of A Million Open Doors better, but I think the people, relationships and situations were even more believable and alive to the reader in this book. The end was sort of sudden, but also very believable. All in all, both of these John Barnes books have been great scifi novels. Thank you Thalasse, for introducing Barnes to me!

I have rifter's address and I'll post the book tomorrow.

Journal Entry 8 by Kemppu at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, February 17, 2012
Posted to rifter.

Journal Entry 9 by rifter at Isokyrö, Pohjanmaa / Österbotten Finland on Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Got the book today! Thank you Kemppu, I'll get to it soon!

Journal Entry 10 by rifter at Isokyrö, Pohjanmaa / Österbotten Finland on Thursday, March 08, 2012
I enjoyed this book. I'm not sure which book I liked most, A Million Open Doors or this one, but it was nice to follow Giraut and Margaret once again. Interesting to follow the cultures in this book too, I wonder what things would be like if humans someday get out into space? The end was sort of sudden and very sad. And I do agree with Thalasse, how come Giraut didn't notice what was going on with Margaret, it was so obvious. Men, eh? And now I find myself wanting to say "Yap" all the time.

Journal Entry 11 by rifter at a fellow bookcrosser, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 11, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (3/11/2012 UTC) at a fellow bookcrosser, by mail -- Controlled Releases

The book is returning home!

Journal Entry 12 by -solaria- at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Wednesday, March 14, 2012
The book arrived home safely, thank you! It was fun to organize this little ring. :)

I originally read this book in August 2010, and I think I will re-read it soonish. I planned to do it before the ring started, but didn't have the time.