Rhysmyth Volume 1

by Anthony Andora, Lincy Chan | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 142780088X Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingk00kaburrawing of San Jose, California USA on 10/5/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Tuesday, October 25, 2011
Rec'd via Paperbackswap.com.

Welcome to America's newest and most popular sport: Rhysmyth! Featuring one-on-one dance battles atop a hi-tech glass court grid, when the music hits, you and your opponent dance across a digital minefield for the glory of being the most stylish Rhysmyther!High school student Elena is looking for a little something extra to beef up her college applications. When she is thrust into the fast-paced world of Rhysmyth, she begins to get her groove on. But is Elena truly ready for the rivalry...and romance!

Journal Entry 2 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Tuesday, June 24, 2014
Read today.

Oh my.
Remember Dance Dance Revolution, the video game craze that swept through American arcades in the late 90s and early 00s? Well, if you were a teenager during those years, odds are good you do. As far as I know, the game died off by the mid-2000s, and references to it now seem painfully dated.

So naturally, that means this comic is nothing short of ridiculous. The comic's version of DDR, instead of fading away as a novelty, becomes elevated into a national sport called "Rhysmyth". It has become so mainstream that high schools have invested in fancy electronic floors that light up with different-colored squares so that players can compete with each other in epic dance-offs.

Yes. Because that happened.

Perpetual klutz Elena finds out that she has a special talent for Rhysmyth and is recruited by the school's team captain. The captain, Wahzee (is that a legitimate name?) has a bipolar personality - he's a sweetie until someone brings up Rhysmyth, at which point he morphs into a screaming dictator. It's hard to take this character seriously with the ridiculous white-topped mullet queue thing he's trying to rock on his head, but whatever.

The comic really looks rank amateur when you combine this ridiculous, dated story with the weak art. Characters aren't at all well-drawn, sometimes appearing to have no bones or oddly-placed facial features. The book looks like two high school kids screwing around, which maybe this is, since Tokyopop's OEL line tended to hire young and innocent, not industry professionals.

Released 4 yrs ago (5/17/2015 UTC) at = Book Box in -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

adding to my Manga Bookbox!

adding to my Manga Bookbox!

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 27, 2015
I'm claiming this from the manga bookbox despite the less-than-glowing review. It's a title that's unfamiliar to me, and looks like it might be amusing - and could make a good themed release!

Later: I'm not into break-dancing particularly, though I do admire the talent (and energy!) displayed by the dancers. This manga featured a kind of break-dancing/gymnastics blend as applied to a giant-sized dance-themed video game, which actually looks like something that would go over big on a modern reality-TV show - if only as an impossible task!

I was amused by klutzy heroine Elena, whose innate "rhysmyth" (oh, I hate that word) talent comes to light when she manages to convert a headlong fall down the stairs into a deft gymnastic tumble. This catches the eye of rhysmyth-star Wahzee (the author seems to have really lousy naming skills; everyone except the two female characters have VERY odd names), and the basic "newbie joins the team" plot kicks in.

Despite the typical plot elements, I found myself enjoying some aspects of the story. Elena wears cartoon-themed boy's underwear instead of lingerie, and wears practical, easy-to-move-in slacks and top for her dance-practice. The rules for the dance-game actually sound kind of interesting, in a "livelier version of gymnastic floor exercises" kind of way. And I was amused by the attempt to convince the reader that "Rhysmyth" was a real sport, with info pages and rule-tutorials strewn through the book. (The geeky, leet-speak blog posts by Elena's pesky little brother were rather cute, too.)

Outside of the actual dance-sport, the story's a standard joining-the-team one, with a couple of potential love-interests for the heroine, yet with more emphasis on the actual dance-battles. This volume ends with Elena pulling off a spectacular series of moves in her dance-off with existing team-member and rival Taylor. Somehow I have no doubt that Elena will make the team {wry grin}.

The bonus material includes some amusing omake strips, and a "how the manga developed" section that reveals how close it came to including rap along with the dancing!

Released 4 yrs ago (7/9/2015 UTC) at Daniel Webster Hwy (see text for details) in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I left this book on a boulder near the entrance to Funworld, an amusement arcade on DW Highway - which features, among other things, Dance Dance Revolution. Hope the finder enjoys the book!

*** Released as part of the 2015 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***