They Died in Vain: Overlooked, Underappreciated and Forgotten Mystery Novels

by Jim Huang | Reference |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 10/1/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, October 01, 2011
The subtitle of this book intrigued me when I first heard it; I had to know which novels were "underappreciated". I got this good-condition paperback from Better World Books during a recent sale.

I enjoyed browsing through this book, especially when a title I knew popped out at me - or a title that I didn't know but wanted to! Among my discoveries: Vera Caspary's Laura, the novel on which the celebrated film was based; Unpunished, by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, best known for the classic chiller "The Yellow Wallpaper" - I hadn't known she wrote a mystery, but apparently it wasn't published until 1997!; the description of Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart intrigued me because it's set in "an ancient China that never was", and sounds really delightful; and The Debt to Pleasure by John Lanchester is a strongly food-themed mystery (which I'd never heard of despite its winning the Whitbread First Novel award), and is another title I'd like to try thanks to this book.

Some of the books described here that I had already read include: Rough Cut by Stan Cutler, one of several novels in his Goodman/Bradley series; I enjoyed them, but they're definitely not that well known. I was surprised to see Jane Haddam's "Gregor Demarkian" books listed here; I suppose they might fit under "underappreciated", but as the series has over 20 volumes now and is still running, that seems... odd!

Oh, and I was tickled to find Mary Stewart's Nine Coaches Waiting listed here, as it was a long-ago favorite of mine during the "gothic romance" era. I'd found it superior to most of its ilk even then, and it was pleasant to find that the reviewer agreed with me.

Another feature: the list of contributors at the end of the book not only describes the individuals who wrote about their selections but also their bookstores; sadly, not all of them are still around, including Kate's Mystery Books in Cambridge MA...

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (4/6/2012 UTC) at Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I'm adding this book to MaryZee's Bookish bookbox, which I plan to hand off to eponine38 on Friday. Hope someone enjoys the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, April 14, 2012
Taken from the Bookish bookbox. Looks interesting!

Journal Entry 4 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, December 29, 2012
Yikes! Reading this has added another 20ish books to my wishlists on BookCrossing, PaperbackSwap and Amazon!

It's sad that some well-written books are either not appreciated or somehow slip through the cracks. This is a great effort to increase their popularity.

This book will travel soon, so others may discover some hidden gems :-)

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, December 31, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (12/31/2012 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Included in a box sent to Tribefan for release at the Akron Reading Festival. Hope someone enjoys it!

Released for D For December Challenge hosted by hyphen8.

Journal Entry 6 by Tribefan at Lakemore, Ohio USA on Thursday, January 10, 2013
Thank you for sending! This book will be wild released on Feb. 9th by the Rubber City Book Posse and the Akron Reading Festival held had the main branch of the Akron Public Library.

Journal Entry 7 by Tribefan at Akron Reading Festival in Akron, Ohio USA on Saturday, January 12, 2013

Released 7 yrs ago (2/9/2013 UTC) at Akron Reading Festival in Akron, Ohio USA

Look for the Rubber City Book Posse!

Bookcrossing: n. the practice of leaving a book in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise.
- from the Concise Oxford English Dictionary

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Thank you for picking up this book. Please make a journal entry on the BookCrossing site (www.bookcrossing.com) to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free). If you join, please consider indicating that you were referred by Tribefan. I hope you enjoy the book. You can make another journal entry with your comments when you’ve finished reading. Whenever you’re ready to send it on its way, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or release notes if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. It’s all confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free.