Sorrows and Smiles

by Dee Williams | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by kirstykat of Potters Bar, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on 9/30/2011
Journal Entry 1 by kirstykat from Potters Bar, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 30, 2011
Kindly given to me by a colleague. New author for me to try.

Journal Entry 2 by kirstykat at Potters Bar, Hertfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 18, 2021
I found this novel a cross between Catherine Cookson and Josephine Cox.
The plot was watery and it was obvious how it was going to turn out. A real post war saga, where everyone helps everyone and knows there busy
The most irritating thing ( apart from the main character always bursting into tears ) was the poor level of English. Especially the incorrect use of tenses and collectives. I suspect this was to indicate the families were ' Working Class'. I found this patronizing because everyone knows how to speak correct English and, this sort of writing perpetuates poorly spoken and bad English.
It is a good, quick, lazy read if you need something to get you back in the habit of reading, but I prefer deeper, well written novels. Poor grammar grates on my nerves - especially from an author!