Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, Book 6)

This is a special book -
by Jacqueline Winspear | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingfraculawing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 9/27/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingfraculawing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, February 29, 2012
Bestseller Winspears sixth Maisie Dobbs novel raises the stakes considerably for her psychologically astute sleuth. On Christmas eve 1931, a man Maisie passes on a London street detonates a bomb, killing himself and slightly wounding Maisie. This traumatic event turns out to be linked to threatening letters the British prime minister starts to receive, the first of which mentions Maisie by name. Maisie joins a high-powered investigative team devoted to averting the cataclysmic disaster promised by the unknown author of the messages.

By providing the letter writers perspective, Winspear removes some of the mystery. In addition, Maisies speculative guesses about the profile of the criminal, while accurate, have less logical grounding than traditional puzzle fans might prefer. Still, Winspear does her usual superb job of portraying London between the world wars.

Journal Entry 2 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 28, 2012
Terrorism is not a modern day issue. On Christmas eve 1931, Maisie witnesses a suicide and is drawn into a treat of terrorism through a letter that specifically mentions her name.

The story unfold through the inner thoughts from the terrorist's point of view along side Maisie's. Another wonderful and thought provoking mystery feature this strong female investigator.

Journal Entry 3 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 12, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (5/12/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Released at the Calgary May meet-up of BookCrossers at the Joshua Tree Café.

Journal Entry 4 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 13, 2012
Thanks for the opportunity to reread these books; I enjoy them just as much as the first time!

Journal Entry 5 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, June 07, 2012
This storyline is a favourite as Maisie shows her intellect and poise up against the chauvinist attitudes of the inspector while solving a dangerous mystery. Even with the demands of the case, she finds time to help with the personal challenges of her employee's family and her friend Priscilla.

Journal Entry 6 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 09, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (6/9/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Took the book to the Calgary BC Meetup at the Joshua Tree Cafe today.

Journal Entry 7 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, June 10, 2012
Picked up this book at the Calgary BookCrossing June meet-up. I'm slowly working my way through the Maisie Dobbs series. One more for the pile.

Journal Entry 8 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, September 07, 2012
Wow, this book clipped right along. I think it steams from the plot. Maisie's under the clock so you really feel the tension. It was great seeing Maisie working with all of these tough men and completely holding her own. But can't she get a dog or something? She's so alone.

Anyone else think they should turn this book series into a TV show or a series of movies?

Journal Entry 9 by locker-monster at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, September 07, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (9/8/2012 UTC) at Joshua Tree Café, Edmonton Trail in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Releasing this book at the Calgary BookCrossing September meet-up. If it didn't go home with someone, it's on the bookshelf.

Journal Entry 10 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 08, 2012
Once again I came home with too many books. Adding this one to the to be read mountain!

Journal Entry 11 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, November 27, 2012
Another fantastic Maisie Dobbs book. I am so happy that I was introduced to her, what a wonderful series of books! And they keep getting better and better. This one did clip along and I was always wondering what was going to happen next. Can't wait to see where the series goes next.

Journal Entry 12 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 08, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (12/8/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking this to today's meetup. Hopefully it will find a new reader there...

Are you in the Calgary area and interested in meeting up with other Calgary BookCrossers? Please check out our facebook group, "BookCrossing Calgary" for details on how. Meeting are held on the second Saturday of every month at the Joshua Tree Cafe starting at 11am. New Crossers are always welcome.

Journal Entry 13 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 08, 2012
So excited to read the next Maisie Dobbs!
So many books in front of this one on the TBR mountain range, wonder how fast she will sneak her way to the top?

Journal Entry 14 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 13, 2013
Another wonderful Maisie Dobbs adventure finished. I am always amazed at the historical detail in these books, this time it was the treatment of the mentally ill in the 1930's. my heart went out to Doreen whose severe depression was treated with a milk diet and injections of Insulin to shock her back to normalcy. To quote a popular ad for a cigarette that targeted women...You've come a long way baby!
Thank you everyone for getting me into reading the amazing Maisie Dobbs and sharing these stories! Ok, now with so many books on my TBR Mountain range, I eagerly await #7!

Journal Entry 15 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 13, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (2/9/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passing this book to the next reader in the group.

Journal Entry 16 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, February 10, 2013
Grabbed at get together

Journal Entry 17 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Another delightful Maisie Dobbs book. Although I never really care for when stories go into the different law enforcement branches and their in-fighting, I quite enjoyed the concept behind this book. In particular I thought the depiction of the effects of both shell shock and chemical weapons had on those involved in the war, as well as their subsequent treatment, quite well done.

Thanks for the intriguing read!

Journal Entry 18 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, May 17, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (5/16/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passed on to another Maisie Dobbs enthusiast!

Journal Entry 19 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, May 21, 2013
I begged Eri Cherry to finish the book and put in her mailbox so I didn't have to wait....thanks EC.

Took it camping and started right away! Yeah another Maisie Dobbs.

Journal Entry 20 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, May 23, 2013
Another great Dobbs book!

I am reading this series in quick succession. I find that I am really getting a sense of how the poeple suffered after the end of the war. They talk about them being the invisible people and it really is true. They give themselves for our freedom and then are tossed aside. Powerful writing.

Journal Entry 21 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (7/13/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am taking this book to our monthly bookcrossers meet up at cravings - the second Saturday of every month- to pass on to the next reader.

Journal Entry 22 by crossingguardma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 14, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (12/14/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Journal Entry 23 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, December 15, 2013
Back in my hands and awaiting the next reader!

Journal Entry 24 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, December 10, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (12/10/2016 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the December meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers, held at Cravings Market Restaurant.

Journal Entry 25 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, February 10, 2017
LOL
I thought that this book looked familiar, I have read it already. Thanks to my dear friend Dracula for the wonderful conversation over tea this afternoon and for bring me THREE Maudie Dobbs' books. Now I can be guilt free as I move on to the next in the series and pass this one over.

Journal Entry 26 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, June 11, 2017
This came home with me so that I could figure out who needed to read it next.

Journal Entry 27 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 08, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (7/8/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am bringing this book back to the group... I've checked the lists and all the books seem to have been returned to the person who brought them. Book one is with undersunnyskies and she is the only one not finished the series. I will return this to the person who brought it so they can decide what they want to do... This is a great series, perhaps we can convince some new people to start it.

Journal Entry 28 by B-Lynn at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, July 13, 2017
looking forward to reading the series.

Journal Entry 29 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, March 19, 2018
Book is safely back in my hands and being held for a future reader.

Journal Entry 30 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, June 20, 2019

Released 4 wks ago (6/20/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Released at a coffee meet-up.

Journal Entry 31 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, June 20, 2019
Looking forward to the next installment of Maisie Dobbs.