Latitudes of Melt

This is a special book -
by Joan Clark | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingfraculawing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 9/27/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingfraculawing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, January 30, 2013
This bountiful, magical novel opens with the discovery by two fishermen of a baby floating in a cradle on an ice pan in the North Atlantic off the coast of Newfoundland in 1912. To the small fishing community into which the foundling is adopted, Aurora, as they name her – with her shock of white hair, one blue eye and one brown – is clearly enchanted. But it is not until Aurora is herself an old woman that she learns the heart-wrenching story behind her miraculous survival on the ice.

Journal Entry 2 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, January 31, 2013
A beautiful Newfoundland multi-generational story. With the depth of the story told, you would expect a much larger book. This is a testament to the concise but very lyrical writing.

I hope to share this with some readers from Newfoundland.

Journal Entry 3 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 09, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (2/9/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the February Calgary BookCrossing meet-up at the Joshua Tree Café. Who will be the next reader?

Journal Entry 4 by soccergal at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Thank you Fracula for placing this book directly into my waiting hands.

The words, the feelings...you are there. You are walking the beach, the grass, feeling the cold winds.

Loved this book beyond words. So much so that when I go back to Newfoundland this summer, I will be driving the Irish Loop and visiting the towns that the author mentions.

I will bring this treasure back to our monthly meeting...someone else must get a chance to feel this book too.

Journal Entry 5 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 11, 2014
I am looking forward to reading this Canadian book when it climbs to the top of my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 6 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, August 25, 2015
I am almost finished this amazing story, and I am finding it so hard to put it down!
...and the Titanic has just sunk at 2:45 AM in the North Atlantic Ocean and a baby is floating in her cradle on an ice pan, alone.

This was such an incredible story, and on the very last page, I found out that Joan Clark also wrote "Eriksdottir". That book has been on my TBR Mountain Range for years. I really hope that it is still there!

Once again, many thanks for pushing this book across the table to me. I really did enjoy it! Now I will have to find another copy for my friend from NFLD for Christmas.

Journal Entry 7 by wingherchellewing at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 12, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (9/12/2015 UTC) at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Bringing this book to the group for the next reader! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 12, 2015
OK - I cam home with WAY too many books. But, my books are organized now by when I got them.

Journal Entry 9 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, July 27, 2017
Very interesting take on the Titanic disaster. A look at the changes in Newfoundland over the years as times change and the impact of the fisheries. Wonderful weaving of this unusual child growing up in a family who cherished her.

Journal Entry 10 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, August 12, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (8/12/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am bringing this to the August meetup at Cravings.

Journal Entry 11 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, August 13, 2017
Picked this up at the August meeting.

Journal Entry 12 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, February 17, 2018
This book just carried me along in the life of Aurora and her family. I loved the mystical and lyrical feel of the book. The author changed voices and perspectives so seamlessly. I enjoyed the trip to Newfoundland and having been there once I could picture the rugged coast, the bergs and the fog.

Journal Entry 13 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 10, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (3/10/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the March BookCrossing meeting to be enjoyed by the next reader.

Journal Entry 14 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, August 30, 2018
Picked up at this month's Calgary bookcrossing meetup - sorry for the late entry.

I do not remember putting my name in this at all.

Journal Entry 15 by Crataegus at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, October 13, 2018
I loved this book more than I thought I would. I picked up to skim a few pages and next thing I know I'm finding excused to sneak away from wedding planning to finish it.

Will be brought back to Calgary Bookcrossing and handed off.

Journal Entry 16 by Ashtoash at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 10, 2018
To be read