How to Be an American Housewife

by Margaret Dilloway | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by lelly7271 on 9/16/2011
Journal Entry 1 by lelly7271 on Friday, September 16, 2011
Great read; quick and engaging.

Journal Entry 2 by Raincross at Denver, Colorado USA on Monday, September 19, 2011
Picked it up in the airport in Denver, just something to read, intrigued by the title. Really loved it because I once lived in Japan and this book helped me understand the people a little better. Quick, fascinating read!!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Riverside, California USA on Monday, October 3, 2011
I enjoyed it immensely. Margaret Dilloway transported me to Japan effortlessly. The story is very quick reading and I was sorry when it ended.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Hampton, Virginia USA on Monday, October 10, 2011
This was a very enjoyable story with a satisfying ending. Interested in Japanese culture since my early 20's, I was first attracted by the title. Initially, the mother's Japanese WWII story made me read on; then the daughter's present-day tale made me want to see how it would end. Margaret Dilloway has a talent for describing her characters and making them seem quite real. I have been to Japan and felt as if I were transported back there again!

Dividing the story into two parts--first mother's words, then the daughter narrating--was unexpected. (It also lent some suspense, since we're not really sure what has become of the mother until fairly late into the daughter's half of the story.)

I know just the friend to pass this book on to. . . !

Journal Entry 5 by bellkeeper at Newport News, Virginia USA on Thursday, February 23, 2012
Ifound this book to be very illuminating.I was a foreign bride myself,though from Europe,and while attitudes were different,some situations were similar.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Pozzuoli, Campania Italy on Friday, December 6, 2013
My friend sent me this book. I really enjoyed reading it. Fascinating with different cultures; the expectation we have, both perceived and experienced first hand. I was also a foreign bride but from Europe.