The Momentum of Red: A Novel

by Monica Kidd | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1551926822 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Pooker3 of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 9/10/2011
Journal Entry 1 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, September 10, 2011
Loot from Aqua Books.

Journal Entry 2 by Pooker3 at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, August 26, 2013
I've read and enjoyed this author's previous novel, Beatrice, so had some expectations that I would enjoy this book too. I was not disappointed. I like how this author is able to bring the reader right into her settings, in this particular case, small town Alberta.

The story centres on the relationshop between 50-year-old Randy Thompson and his 21 year old daughter Mary. Randy's beloved wife Roz died at Mary's birth and Randy raised his daughter on his own. Randy is a trucker and the bonds between him and his daughter were tightly forged as they traveled the long highways of Alberta, western Canada and the US. Now though, Mary has entered into a relationship with Dennis Boyce, a journalist covering one of the town's summer festivals, and she wants to move out get her own place. Although Randy knows that life will not be the same for them and he'd rather she not be moving out just yet, he supports his daughter's plan and helps her pick out and pay for an apartment where she and Dennis will live.

As it turns out Dennis has a criminal history. He was jailed for beating his wife. He tells Mary and Randy a lie about that - he says his wife cheated on him and he beat up the man with whom she was having the affair because that man was beating on her.

Nevertheless, the tendency to violence is rightly concerning to both Randy and Mary but they decide to give him a chance. Randy has a bit of violence in his own past, when it comes down to it, that perhaps clouds his own judgment when it comes to Dennis. Despite his own misgivings about Dennis and those of his friends, Randy surmises that people can change.

I enjoyed this story a lot. The bonds between Mary and her father, and Randy's devotion to his daughter were totally believable and touching. I also loved the relationships among Mary's friends Tina and Sara. And the author has small town life in cattle country down pat. Kidd's writing is poetic, at times so beautiful that I forgot my own distaste for dust and sweat and cow patties.

Journal Entry 3 by Pooker3 at Little Free Library #2873 in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, August 26, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (8/26/2013 UTC) at Little Free Library #2873 in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

To the finder of this book:
I hope you enjoy your new read.

Welcome, also, to the wonderful and wacky world of BookCrossing! Here you'll find a unique and worldwide community of book lovers sharing their books. This book is now yours! Read it, enjoy it. Keep it or pass it on to someone you know, return it to any Little Free Library or even release it into the wild. It is all up to you.

If you make a journal entry (you can do it anonymously or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this book will be notified by e-mail and can follow this book on its travels. BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your email address) and it's a whole lot of fun!