Virtually His (MIRA)

by Gennita Low | Romance |
Registered by rainbow3 of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 9/10/2011
Journal Entry 1 by rainbow3 from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, September 10, 2011
Chosen to be the ultimate secret operative, Helen Roston has become the most dangerous woman in the world. Two years of training and she's now ready for the final phase--a risky combination of virtual reality and a mind-altering serum.

When her mysterious and faceless "trainer" syncs his mind to hers using the program, she's amazed at her sizzling response to his virtual touch. But Helen likes to be in control. She's not going to beg for more.

Helen's final test is a challenging mission, picked by the other government agencies whose candidates lost out to her.

To succeed, she has to put herself completely in the hands of her trainer, a man she's not sure she can trust. But all of COS Command are counting on her. She cannot fail.

Journal Entry 2 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, September 16, 2011
Virtually His (2007) is the first book in Low's ‘Virtual’ spying, two book theme, the second being Virtually Hers (2007). That detail I read on the Fantastic Fiction website after reading the blooming book and crashing into its horridly vertiginous cliff-hanger of an ending. Ah, well, perhaps my own fault for diving in without doing any research first. Virtually His had a whole whack of black ops plotting going for it, full of mystery and suspense, but clearly the strong independent woman in a mans world subject matter was soon going slide into battle of the sexes zone where as the senior operator her male counterpart, the trainer/monitor, has the upper hand.

I was not wild about the very long, very complex build up, a long trail, a black ops procedural it seemed, before we got to the point where Helen (Elena) starts to interact with her monitor and the coercive seduction scenes he manipulates flare into being. Initially she is told the identity of her monitor will be a mystery as the knowledge may influence her reactions while the test parameters are being set. Yes, there are a number of hot hunks in the team around Elena but the mystery, her competitive nature cannot let rest, is which of these hunks is the monitor she is only sure of meeting in virtual reality. The scene then is set for ambiguity and the pressured seduction pattern develops till her monitor goes so far as to step over the line. Surprised dear reader, well no! Though holy smokes its not till chapter 17 of a book with 20 chapters, that we arrive at the really steamy set piece.

Though Elena it must be said has been a fascinated seductee in what veers into a dominant and submissive relationship with her monitor it must be reiterated he is the senior here and therefore she as the more vulnerable partner should be being protected by him. OK so Elena has been more than a rapt partner, in any seduction in that she remained silent to others about the inappropriate way her monitor was establishing rapport with her, but that doesn’t mean she to blame for him going over the line. That thought for me pushes the really steamy set piece further toward a coercive sex/rape scene than I was comfortable with though indeed that issue is actually tackled by the characters discussing it. Elena’s reaction is mixed in that she realises she is both seriously interested in the mysterious monitor but she also furious she has been so successfully manipulated into a position she cannot get out of. While the monitors position seems nothing but self-serving. It did leave me feeling uneasy. m I way off beam and misinterpreting I wonder?

The next ‘hold-on-a-minute-here’ moment was the abrupt scent change a few pages from the books end when suddenly we get four pages of Elena being on a break from work but having a vision indicating the identity of the monitor… What?! What break? Wait a minute, I though she was supposed to be helping the search for the second of two agents… And what’s with this vision business clearly there’s some crucial issues to come but the book just up and finishes? That’s an unsatisfactory cliff-hanger if ever there was one! Is this just horrendously poor editing, one book divided into two, because not enough had been slashed out? Certainly there was an electrifying plot and a buzz about this and the sizzle was hot and there were more than enough hunks to capture attention…ironically enough I seem to be writing on and on about how conflicted I was over this…my editing is **** poor too it seems…

Journal Entry 3 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, September 17, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (9/17/2011 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

….planning getting this into the post today, via my local post office, 15 East Norton Place or Edinburgh's main Post Office. Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 4 by Vespa at Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Saturday, September 24, 2011
in my Un-con NSS - thank you