eV

by James Farr | Graphic Novels |
Registered by wingk00kaburrawing of San Jose, California USA on 9/7/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Thursday, September 08, 2011
Rec'd via Paperbackswap.com.

From School Library Journal
Grade 6 Up–Evie's father, Dr. Richard Wymond, a preeminent nano-biologist, is locked in a nearly five-year struggle to devise an advanced superhuman to send as a delegate into space, as requested by the mechanized emissaries sent five years earlier. Dr. Wymond has created the ZETTA serum, which, in a solitary lab rat, creates nanoscopic machines that interact with the body on an atomic level, weakened only by electromagnetic force. With five hours to go before the emissaries return to retrieve the delegate, Dr. Wymond learns that all of the candidates have been assassinated, and he must inject himself with the serum and travel into space. On the way to a rare visit with her father, Evie and her mother are slammed by a diesel truck, leaving Evie on the brink of death. In a split-second decision, Dr. Wymond injects his daughter with the serum, and, like the Bionic Woman, she is saved from death, but with side effects. Seventeen years old and superhuman, she boards the alien ship and serves as Earth's delegate to an intergalactic congress. Both the story line and graphics more closely resemble a traditional superhero comic (Batman, Superman, etc.) than manga. Featuring intergalactic politics last seen in Star Wars (Dark Horse), including one creature whose lingo is suspiciously Yoda-esque, eV should appeal to middle school readers. As Evie is both brainy and beautiful, both male and female readers should enjoy this highly readable graphic novel.–Sarah Krygier, Solano County Library, Fairfield, CA
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Journal Entry 2 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Monday, May 18, 2015
Read a couple of days ago.

This would have made a great movie - in fact, given what I've heard about Tokyopop's licensing deals I strongly suspect that the reason they initially picked up and published this property was so they could shop the concept for a lucrative movie deal. Just a hunch.

A race of aliens reaches Earth and demands a representative for the planet be chosen and prepared so that in five years' time, he or she can be taken to a sort of galactic Senate to represent the interests of the planet. As a scientist prepares a serum to enable the representative to survive the rigors of the journey, candidates for the position keep getting killed, so when the five year deadline arrives no one has been selected. The scientist ends up injecting his teenage daughter with the serum, and she is shipped off to space. She meets a bunch of weird aliens and uncovers a vast conspiracy that threatens to doom the Earth as well as countless other planets unless she and her new friends can stop it.

Evie's basically a superhero learning about the powers built into her new body, abilities which include flight, temporarily lengthen her hair when summoning energy, energy blasts, manifest an external subconscious (??) that acts as her personal Jiminy Cricket, invisibility, and other useful tricks.

As a character, Evie doesn't have much personality. Her childhood left her with a lingering resentment that her father was always working and didn't make time for her, and she is curious about her new surroundings (as one ought to be when suddenly on a space adventure) but I didn't find her particularly compelling. I'm sure she would have been fleshed out further had the series continued, but Tokyopop went belly-up not long after this was published so the book ends on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved.

Released 4 yrs ago (5/18/2015 UTC) at = Book Box in -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

adding to my Manga bookbox!

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, June 27, 2015
I'm claiming this from the manga bookbox for one reason - while thumbing through the book I spotted TENTACLES!

{grin}

Later: In general I agree with k00kaburra's comments - the most intriguing elements of the story aren't the ones that get the most page-count here. But I did like the setup, though I laughed aloud when, at the bottom of one page, we see the Trusted Official saying, in regard to the newly-arrived aliens, "They mean us no harm. We are safe" - and then I turned the page to see the gigantic Dust Mite of Doom spaceship hovering over the city. Hee!

The "planetary representative" idea has merit too - heck, Ursula Le Guin used it in Left Hand of Darkness. Forcing the situation by a conveniently-timed car accident gives us our heroine, super-enhanced but very young Evie, whose first contact with the aliens presents her with a talking rabbit, via the "Form You Are Comfortable With" trope. But this interplanetary congress ("What are they going to do, vote me to death?") gets chaotic early on, to nobody's surprise but, apparently, Evie's, though she learns to cope pretty well. (I must say that the bunny-shaped aliens made me think that Buffy's Anya may have had the right idea all along!)

I'll give the story points for the eldritch horrors, the bits of humor, and the "Oh, crap" ending. And I would watch the movie, if there ever is one!

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Mine Falls Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, July 11, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (7/11/2015 UTC) at Mine Falls Park in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book on a bench or wall near the gatehouse at the Stellos Stadium entrance at around 10 or so, when I stop by for a Geocaching meetup. Hope the finder enjoys the book!

*** Released as part of the 2015 Keep Them Moving release challenge. ***