How To Train Your Dragon

by Cressida Cowell | Children's Books |
Registered by cinnamon-quill of Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on 9/7/2011
Journal Entry 1 by cinnamon-quill from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, September 7, 2011
Hiccup is the son of a Viking chief. He is destined to train a fierce dragon and become a hero...or else be exiled from his tribe.

Being scrawny has major its major disadvantages, however. When Hiccup lands himself a very unusual and untameable dragon, he must resort to unconventional and forbidden methods to train his dragon.

Will Hiccup train his dragon in time to be accepted into his tribe? Meanwhile, an even bigger threat is looming and it's up to Hiccup to embrace his own heroic ways to conquer it.

Translated from the original Old Norse by Cressida Cowell, comes the brilliant tale of an awkward young Viking and his dragon. Like many, I'd seen the film (which I think is brilliant) so I was eager to read the novel. I discovered that, much like Diana Wynne Jones' Howl's Moving Castle, the film is based on the book but in a loose enough way that book and film are both enjoyable but an entirely different experience.

I read this book in just over a day, although I'm sure I could have managed it in less with fewer breaks. It is a delightful read, full of wonderful humour and illustrations. I loved Hiccup's character and his cleverness and bravery. He was perhaps the scrawniest Viking of the lot but he had a way with words that could put even his father, Stoick the Vast, in his place and rethink his actions.

Once I was done reading the book, I needed more so I sat down to watch the film adaptation. I'm itching to get my hands on the sequel, 'How to Be a Pirate' and look forward to learning more about Dragonese, the language of the dragons.

I'd recommend 'How to Train Your Dragon' to anyone who is looking for a humourous and adventurous read, full of Vikings, dragons and heroics.

In accordance with the FTC, I would like to disclose that I purchased this book. The opinions expressed are mine and no monetary compensation was offered to me by the author or publisher.

(From my blog: Quill Café)

If you find this book, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Please read it and share your thoughts here. Then, pass it on to others so that it can be experienced far and wide. ♥

Registered in MANHATTAN, NYC, USA.

Journal Entry 2 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, April 16, 2012
I was an enthusiastic Girl Guide, so believe in Being Prepared and learning new skills. So just in case I ever need to train a dragon, I need to read this book. I wonder if the skills involved will transfer to my children?

Released 4 mos ago (1/7/2024 UTC) at Stationsboekwissel CS IJ-passage in Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands

To be edited later.

Dit boek is losgelaten voor de volgende BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - boeken lezen en loslaten, met bonuspunten voor een maandelijkse thema.
- Reduce Mount TBR (To Be Read) - lezen en loslaten van TBR boeken die al voor eind 2014 op de plank stonden. Mijn leesdoel is 36 boeken.
- 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die Challenge. Doel 2015: 15 boeken.

**********************************************************************

This book has been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme
- Reduce Mount TBR (To Be Read) - read and release books on the TBR list since before the end of 2014. My reading goal is 36 books.
- 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die Challenge. 2015 goal: 15.

Journal Entry 4 by wingFifnawing at Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, January 7, 2024
Got it at the meetup at Amsterdam Central Station.

Journal Entry 5 by wingFifnawing at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, April 18, 2024

Released 1 mo ago (4/20/2024 UTC) at BC 2024 Convention in Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Taking it to the Convention in Tampere!

Journal Entry 6 by wingLotty_wing at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Sunday, April 21, 2024
I've taken this one from the Bookcrossing Convention in Tampere.

Released 5 days ago (5/19/2024 UTC) at Wanderhütte „Max und Moritz“ in Lengerich, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

Fly and be free!