The Letters of Abelard and Heloise (Penguin Classics)

by Peter Abelard | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Decatur, Georgia USA on 9/3/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing at Decatur, Georgia USA on Saturday, December 10, 2011
Abelard and Heloise continue to fascinate almost ten centuries after their love affair brought unimaginable ecstasy and horror to their lives. Their passionate love was violently severed physically when Heloise's enraged uncle had thugs mutilate Abelard. But their love continued in spirit. They may have had the most pondered love in history. After their affair ended they continued to correspond. Heloise became known for her learning and administrative genius as an abbess, while Abelard remained the greatest teacher in Paris and the leading logician of his day. As recently as the 1980s, more of their letters are thought to have been discovered. It's an interesting story and their letters are still beautiful, thought provoking and passionate all of these many centuries later.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing at Dancing Goats Coffee in Decatur, Georgia USA on Sunday, February 15, 2015

Released 9 yrs ago (2/14/2015 UTC) at Dancing Goats Coffee in Decatur, Georgia USA

Hello. I hope you are happy to have found this book and welcome to bookcrossing, a random community of book lovers. Bookcrossing has been arbitrarily distributing stray books all over the world for 13 years now. We profess book serendipity and have many stories from finders of our books to prove that there is such a thing. I hope you will read, enjoy, keep or pass this book along to another reader. These pages contain the right read for someone--or perhaps many people. The bookcrossing ID (BCID), which you entered in the "Enter a BCID" box on the website, is unique to this copy of this book. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously, or as a bookcrossing member) all previous readers of this actual book will be notified by email, and can follow the book as it travels. bookcrossing is free to join and completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address). Come join our conversation.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCordelia-annewing at -- Wild released somewhere in the state, Georgia USA on Wednesday, April 22, 2015
This book is no longer at Dancing Goats. Someone has taken it. This is good news to me, perhaps the book is making new friends wherever it may be.