corner corner Red Sky at Morning

Red Sky at Morning
by Richard Bradford | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingperryfranwing of Elk Grove, California USA on 8/29/2011

status (set by jumpingin): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from Elk Grove, California USA on Monday, August 29, 2011

I read this book back in the 1970s and really enjoyed it. I found this copy at a used book store and I need to reread it before I release it.

Red Sky at Morning
Author: Richard Bradford
Over a half million copies have been sold of this timeless novel, "a sort of Catcher in the Rye out West."Book World Undoubtedly ranks as one of our most treasured coming-of-age stories.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at North Ogden, Utah USA on Thursday, September 01, 2011

Finished rereading this superb coming-of-age novel set during WWII in a small New Mexico mountain town. I originally read this back in the 70s and I remember there was also a movie version that starred Richard Thomas (John Boy of the Waltons) that was also very good. Anyway this tells the story of Josh Arnold who goes to live in Sagrado, NM, with his mother while his father serves in the navy during the war. This is full of great characters that populate the small town including Anglos (anyone not Native or Indian), Natives (Spanish American), and Indians. Josh makes some great friends and also some malevolent enemies including Chango who says among other things "Jew are a pendejo bahstair..." The book is full of humor and great scenes of life in the remote hills of New Mexico during WWII. High recommendation.

Journal Entry 3 by wingperryfranwing at North Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Friday, November 11, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (11/12/2011 UTC) at North Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

Sending to jumpingin as part of the General Literature VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, November 24, 2011

Arrived safely. Thanks so much!

Journal Entry 5 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, December 14, 2016

I so enjoyed the characters in this book! They were so full of personality. I especially liked Josh's wry sense of humor and his perceptive look at the people around him.

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 6 by wingjumpinginwing at Capilano Branch of the library, Edgemont Village in North Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Friday, January 12, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (1/9/2018 UTC) at Capilano Branch of the library, Edgemont Village in North Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

Left on the book sale table.