Sputnik Sweetheart

by Haruki Murakami | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by taisafinskaia of Krasnogorsk/Красногорск, Moscow Oblast Russia on 8/28/2011
Journal Entry 1 by taisafinskaia from Krasnogorsk/Красногорск, Moscow Oblast Russia on Sunday, August 28, 2011
Haruki Murakami is arguably one of Japan's finest, modern writers and is, increasingly, being seen as one of the top authors working today. The last novel of his to find its way to these shores, Norwegian Wood, was a delightful, if slightly one-dimensional coming-of-age tale. The pyrotechnics of his previous, more surreal novels (Wind Up Bird Chronicle and A Wild Sheep Chase) had disappeared but something of his eccentricity, what made his books such a wonder, had disappeared too. Sputnik Sweetheart is a confident continuation of this more simple style yet one that retains the allegories, the depth of his best work.

The narrator, a teacher, is in love with the beguiling, odd Sumire. As his best friend, she is not adverse to phoning at three or four in the morning to ask a pointless question or share a strange thought. Sumire, though, is in love with a beautiful, older woman, Miu, who does not, can not, return her affections. Longing for Sumire, K (that is all we are told by way of a name) finds some comfort in a purely sexual relationship with the mother of one of his pupils. But the consolation is slight. K is unhappy. Miu and Sumire, now working together, take a business trip to a Greek Island. Something happens, he is not told what, and so K travels to Greece to see what help he can offer.

Themes of love, loss, sexuality, identity and selfhood are all interrogated, woven into a compelling, romantic, serious and sometimes sad book. It is a disarmingly simple, hugely satisfying, intelligent and moving work and one of Murakami's best. Simplicity, sprinkled with a dose of his magic, has enabled Murakami to write candidly, succinctly and beautifully about the complications and difficulties of love and loving. --Mark Thwaite

Journal Entry 2 by taisafinskaia at Lubertsi, Moscow Oblast Russia on Sunday, August 28, 2011
I bought this book in Hungary because I traveled by train and had to spend two days in it.
The book was so interesting that I read it before train reached Moscow.

Journal Entry 3 by taisafinskaia at Мoсква (Moscow), Moscow (Federal City) Russia on Friday, December 16, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (12/16/2011 UTC) at Мoсква (Moscow), Moscow (Federal City) Russia

Book was sent to UK. Vikki, I wish you Merry Christmas and happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by wingVekikiwing at -- somewhere in Greater London --, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 03, 2012
ohh, thank you so much for thinking of me! I can't wait to get stuck into this.
It was really generous of you to send it, very much appreciated. Thanks!

Released 6 yrs ago (6/19/2012 UTC) at New London Theatre Green Room in Covent Garden, Greater London United Kingdom

I'm leaving this on the community bookshelf at work

If you found this book, welcome to Bookcrossing! I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to keep the book, or pass it on once you've read it - it'd be great if you could let us know that you've got it, and what you plan to do with it (you can remain anonymous if you wish, or sign up for free and become a part of our lovely bookcrossing community). Thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by wingVekikiwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (7/4/2012 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

I spotted this on someone's wishlist playing the tag game, so I'm re-releasing it to them now :)

Journal Entry 7 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Monday, July 09, 2012
Thank you so much Vekiki for this Wishlist Tag book (and what a tempting choice :) ! It arrived safely and has been waiting for me since Friday, but I only got to the post office this evening to pick it up.

There are at least two other books I need to read before sinking into this one, but it won't be long (I really, really hope) before its next stop. Sorry for stealing it from your co-workers, I'll try to make it up by finding the perfect next reader once I'm done.

Journal Entry 8 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (8/15/2012 UTC) at București, Wallachia Romania

I still haven't read this one, but I'm still anxious to. It will spend a lovely holiday with Raluca on the Romanian mountain side, then back to me with some more wonderful stories to tell :)

Journal Entry 9 by raluk68 at București, Wallachia Romania on Saturday, August 25, 2012
Yes, the book is with me!
Thank you.
On my to be read read list ;)

Journal Entry 10 by ULRK at Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, December 05, 2012
This book has difficulties to be read by lamelemon. I snatched it away on the Bucharest meetup today.

Journal Entry 11 by ULRK at Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Sunday, December 09, 2012
A gripping story. Couldn't stop reading.

Straight at the beginning looking on the relationship between the protagonists more and more weird towards the ending.

Journal Entry 12 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Tuesday, December 18, 2012
..and back to me! I'm definitely reading this during the Christmas holiday!

Journal Entry 13 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Sunday, January 27, 2013
So glad to have finally tried my first Murakami (I can't say "discover" when having this one sitting on my bookshelf for half a year, but it was fun to see it shared with new readers while its turn came). The story was so easy to follow, although surreal was just around the corner. I had a feeling I was to be left in mid-air by the ending, but a little more than I expected was actually revealed.

Journal Entry 14 by winglamelemonwing at București, Wallachia Romania on Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (4/3/2013 UTC) at București, Wallachia Romania

This one is on its road to Blue-berry as a wishlist tag. Hope you'll enjoy it :)

Journal Entry 15 by Blue_berry at Croydon, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, April 13, 2013
Received today with a pretty postcard, thank you! :)

Journal Entry 16 by Blue_berry at Croydon, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, July 21, 2016
Finally got around reading this, I'm not sure why I took so long!
I enjoyed this story, there are some really special sentences as always in Murakami's writing.
I didn't get into the characters too much though, they seemed slightly incomplete. I liked the part in Greece the most and also the story of boy Carrot at the end.

Journal Entry 17 by Blue_berry at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, September 01, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (9/1/2016 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

Sending to chrissini as winner of the one-book-a-month draw, August 2016. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 18 by chrissini at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Tuesday, September 06, 2016
Thank you, Blue_berry, for sending this book to me! I'm looking forward to reading it and I'm curious how it will be. :)

Journal Entry 19 by chrissini at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Monday, May 08, 2017
As all his books this one was another interesting Murakami read. Somehow I felt it was quite different from his other novels I read so far but then again it was just a typical Murakami. :) I'm hapoy to have read it, thanks again for sending!

Journal Entry 20 by chrissini at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Monday, May 08, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (5/8/2017 UTC) at Graz, Steiermark Austria

The book is now on its way to a new reader as a long overdue surprise. Surpriiiise! :D

Journal Entry 21 by anathema-device at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Tuesday, May 09, 2017
OMG. This is the best thing. I'm having a really exhausting work week, and today a real, unannounced RABCK appeared! Thank you so much, chrissini, for the wishlist book, the flurry of mixed tea bags, and the lovely letter. And just look at this book's journey so far! I love well-travelled books with lots of entries, and I (obviously) have a soft spot for weird and surreal narratives. Just finishing (lots of paperwork and editing and) Xan Brooks' The Clocks in This House All Tell Different Times, and then I can start this one. Very curious, and not just about the plot: haven't come across this translator before (and I'm quite picky when it comes to Murakami in translation).

Journal Entry 22 by anathema-device at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Sunday, May 14, 2017
This book spent the weekend in Berlin with me, and I finished it on the train back from Vienna (where I landed earlier today). Weirdly enough, I feel as if I've read it before after all. Especially the bit about the young boy near the end is something I recall vividly. I checked my registered books again (nothing), and I also checked the short story collection, just to be sure (nothing like it), so I guess I must have borrowed it from a friend (most likely bookcrosser Secundus) when it was newly translated (probably into English).
The story made almost perfect sense to me in an off-kilter Paul Auster sort of way, but I had huge problems with the character of the narrator and his rapey thoughts about the main character of Sumire. (All of this "I wanted to push her to the floor right then and there" and the way he is talking about "irresistible urges".) I get the thing about people losing contact with others and drifting away into isolation (and probably depression), but I don't see any reason to use this problematic one-sided physical obsession in the plot. Not in this form.
Anyway. Thanks for (possibly) renewing my acquaintance with this book. I've been meaning to re-read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle at some point, because somebody mentioned similar passages and I couldn't recall them, but I haven't got around to it yet.

Journal Entry 23 by anathema-device at Stadtpark in Graz, Steiermark Austria on Thursday, April 19, 2018

Released 12 mos ago (4/22/2018 UTC) at Stadtpark in Graz, Steiermark Austria

PICK A BOOK FROM THE BOOK TREE! :)

Hello! BookCrossing is an online community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. We are curious to see where our books will travel and how their readers like them. Kindly make a journal entry to let us know this book has found a new reader.

Feel free to read and keep this book, pass it on to a friend, or leave it back on the shelf or somewhere else for the next reader. If you journal this book as a member, you will hear from future readers as it keeps on travelling the world. Happy reading!