Me Talk Pretty One Day

by David Sedaris | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wandering of Breda, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on 8/21/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wandering from Breda, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, August 21, 2011
Blurb:
Welcome to the wonderful world of America's foremost humorist Devid Sedaris, where learning French, like life, is littered with idiosyncratic delights...

'The Italian was attempting to answer the teacher's latest question when the Moroccan student interrupted, shouting, "Excuse me, but what's an Easter?" The teacher called upon the rest of us to explain. "It is a party for the little boy of God who call his self Jesus." "He die one day and then he go above of my head to live with your father." "He weared of himself the long hair and after he die, the first day he come back here for to say hello to the peoples." "He nice, the Jesus."

Journal Entry 2 by wandering at Den Haag, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, August 21, 2011
I had very high expectations of this writer, due to the praise by people that generally have similar taste in books. However, I don't think the book was especially funny, I found it funny at times and it is generally well written. I liked the quirky engineer father, very recognizable since I work in an engineering company. Heck, I am one myself, but I like to think I'm less explain-ey. :o)

I will not run to the book store for more of this writer, but when I come across another one of his books, I will happily read it.

---

p.130: Alisha changed into a dress, and I dropped them off at the hotel, returning an hour later to find Bonnie wandering the tearoom with her disposable camera.
p.193: There was always a blacksmith, a group of wandering patriots, and a collection of bonneted women hawking corn bread or gingersnaps made "the ol'-fashioned way."

Journal Entry 3 by wandering at Den Haag, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, August 24, 2011
This book wil be sent out as a book ray. Happy travelling!

I have no rules for this bookray. Take your time reading it, but if there are still people behind you in line please don't keep them waiting for eternity.

Readers:
- monalisaa
- R'nee

Journal Entry 4 by monalisaa at Rijswijk (ZH), Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, September 05, 2011
Kreeg dit boek gisteren op de meeting van wandering. Ben benieuwd wat ik van de humor vind (en hoop er niet al te lang over te doen om daar achter te komen).

Journal Entry 5 by monalisaa at Rijswijk (ZH), Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, November 26, 2011
Well, this book is not nearly as funny as I expected, so after reading the first five or six stories I give up. I'll send the book to R'nee as soon as I have her address.

Journal Entry 6 by monalisaa at OBCZ Eetcafé Bolle Boel in Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, January 15, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (1/15/2012 UTC) at OBCZ Eetcafé Bolle Boel in Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant Netherlands

Mee naar de meeting.

Journal Entry 7 by wingFifnawing at Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Sunday, January 15, 2012
Got it at the meet-up in Eindhoven.

Journal Entry 8 by wingFifnawing at Voorburg, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, November 14, 2012
I enjoyed this book, and it was funny, especially the second half. He tells a great story, but it was not as hilarious as I had expected from what I had heard about it. So in that sense it was a little disappointing, but a good read nonetheless.

Journal Entry 9 by wingFifnawing at Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, December 24, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (12/24/2012 UTC) at Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

On its way to Suzy26 as an RABCK - happy reading!

Journal Entry 10 by wingSuzy26wing at Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, December 28, 2012
Received by mail today. Thank you ever so much, Fifna!

Journal Entry 11 by wingSuzy26wing at Delft, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, November 08, 2013
It took me forever to read this collection of short stories one (sometimes two) at a time. I didnot like them all equally as much, but most of the time they made me laugh, especially the ones set in France (part two). I sometimes wonder what David Sedaris' partner, Hugh, and his family think about him writing so brutally honest about their singularities.