My Dirty Little Book of Stolen Time

by Liz Jensen | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingfraculawing of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 8/19/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingfraculawing from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, August 29, 2011
When 25-year-old Charlotte Schleswig begins telling her madcap tale in 1897, she's a successful prostitute roaming the suburban streets near Denmark's capital. A random meeting in a bakery leads her to begin working as a domestic for Fru Krak, an anxious woman whose husband has recently disappeared under mysterious circumstances and who may now be haunting the very streets Charlotte walks. Charlotte soon sets out to find the missing Professor Krak, and in the course of her investigations discovers 21st-century London, a whole new world of mobile phones, microwaves, flavored condoms, suicide machines and a handsome archeologist named Fergus. Jensen (The Ninth Life of Louis Drax) satisfactorily coats a predictable romance with a shiny time-traveling sci-fi glaze, mixes a dash of irony and suspense, and pushes it all through Charlotte's energetic first person, which carries the book. The final result is fun and sometimes scintillating, but not necessarily delicious—like a flavored condom.

Journal Entry 2 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (7/14/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the July meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers, held at the Joshua Tree Café.

This is a month early, for the Travel/Time Travel theme.

Journal Entry 3 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2012
Picked up at the July Calgary Bookcrossing Meeting.

Journal Entry 4 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, July 18, 2012
The voice and language in this book was amazing; it was really fun to read. Charlotte is a wonderful point of view character and it was interesting to get her perspective on various bit of modern technology.

Journal Entry 5 by DendriticTrees at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, August 10, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (8/11/2012 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken back to the Calgary Bookcrossing Meeting.

The Calgary Bookcrossing group meets every second Saturday in the Joshua Tree. Join us on Facebook!

Journal Entry 6 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, August 12, 2012
Looking forward to reading this book.

Journal Entry 7 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, April 25, 2013
An interesting twist on time-travel but quite often I became tired of the ramblings of Charlotte. I would have enjoyed the story more if there was less of Charlotte's POV.

Journal Entry 8 by wingrureadingwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 11, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (5/11/2013 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Took the book to the Calgary BC Meetup at the Joshua Tree Cafe today.

Journal Entry 9 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, May 12, 2013
Picked this up at May's meeting... Once again I came home with way too many books. This one may be sitting on my TBR shelf for awhile.

Journal Entry 10 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, August 21, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (9/12/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I am overloaded with books and a new baby so returning this as other people are waiting for it. I would like it back at sometime though....

Journal Entry 11 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, September 15, 2015
Picked up at get together

Journal Entry 12 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, February 09, 2017
Loved this book! The premise sounded interesting before I read it, so I figured I was in for an amusing story, and that turned out to be true. There was less time travel hijinks then I was expecting, though that had more to do with the goal of the time travellers than a lack of time travel itself.

I liked the random mix of characters, and really enjoyed the writing style. Although it rambled at times, I liked how it had a story teller quality to it since Charolette was actively telling you (the reader) her story.

Thanks for the fun read!

Journal Entry 13 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, August 13, 2017
Picked this up at the August meeting.

Journal Entry 14 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 10, 2018
I'm afraid I just could not get into this.

Journal Entry 15 by MoomaOma at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, March 10, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (3/10/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the March BookCrossing meeting to be enjoyed by the next reader.