Flat Stanley in Space

by Jeff Brown | Children's Books |
ISBN: 1405204192 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingkiwiinenglandwing of Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on 8/16/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingkiwiinenglandwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, September 13, 2011
Stanley and his family head off into space, to represent America in their first encounter with Aliens.

Journal Entry 2 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, September 15, 2011
I think children 7-10 would enjoy this book. I really like the pictures.

As an adult I found the overt Americanisation of the book too much. Having the Queen play a tea serving ninny to the American president was such a juxtiposition, and the way the aliens had the same concept of their National Anthem as Americans. I think it serves as a good tool to reinforce patriotism into American children, if you think partiotism is important.

Interestingly I was doing research on population bottlenecks on the day I started this book.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkiwiinenglandwing at Blackpool, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 15, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (9/16/2011 UTC) at Blackpool, Lancashire United Kingdom

Posting to schwester. I notice you have Flat Stanley on your wishlist. Although I don't have that book I thought you might enjoy Flat Stanley's third adventure.

Journal Entry 4 by wingschwesterwing at Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria on Wednesday, September 21, 2011
Thank you! Stanley went to space, but NOW he is in Vienna. I´ve never read a Stanley-book but always wanted to when people started taking pictures all around the world with Stanley on the photo to show where he is been... So thank you a lot!!! I should not take tooooo long to read this book, so this will soon be travelling again.

Later that evening, after some time in the bath tub: finished! Well yes, it is rather American, but with your warning, I even expected it to be more American. :-) Apart from that, it was a nice children´s book, and rather interesting in many ways, as I just read "Packing for Mars" and learned about the problems of real space travel. E.g. I´m now wondering: how would a real parrot cope without gravity? Thanks again!

Journal Entry 5 by wingschwesterwing at Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria on Friday, October 28, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (10/28/2011 UTC) at Wien Bezirk 03 - Landstraße, Wien Austria

sent on

Journal Entry 6 by chamonix44 at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Wednesday, November 09, 2011
"Stanley In Space" arrived today. He was relieved to escape from the dark envelope, and is now sitting on my bookshelf, just waiting to tell me all about his adventure in Space! Thank you schwester for sending me this great little book.

Journal Entry 7 by chamonix44 at Almelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, February 23, 2012
I enjoyed reading this, but was disappointed that Stanley didn't go flat in this book. I guess I just think of him as "Flat Stanley" when really that was just the title of one of Stanley's adventures. I preferred the 'Flat Stanley' book to this one, although this one was just as entertaining.
The president of the United States phones Stanley. He has been chosen as the first human to fly in the 'Star Scout', a new spaceship.
His family decide to go with him, and their spaceship goes to the planet of Tyrra. At first the aliens living on Tyrra were not as friendly as they had pretended to be, but when they saw just how huge in size the Lambchop family were, compared to their mini sizes, they called a truce. Stanley and the Lambchops end up bringing the entire population of 684 Tyrrans back to the USA with them in the spaceship.
The illustrations are very good even though they are only in black and white.

Journal Entry 8 by chamonix44 at Hengelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, November 21, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (11/21/2016 UTC) at Hengelo, Overijssel Netherlands

This book is going to KJSkye for her son.

Hallo daar, gelukkige vinder!
Wat leuk dat je op deze pagina bent komen kijken. Als je dit leest, heb je een boek gevonden, zomaar een onverwacht kadootje van mij voor jou... Veel plezier ermee! Hierbij trouwens wat spelregels mbt bookcrossing:

1. Het zou fijn zijn als je meldt dat het veilig bij jou is. Dat mag gewoon in het Nederlands.
2. Daarna kun je het boek gaan lezen en als je wilt nog eens schrijven wat je ervan vond.
3. Mag het boek verder reizen, geef het dan door aan iemand anders, of laat het zomaar ergens weer achter, liefst op een veilige, droge plek. Je kunt via de bookcross-site ook weer melden waar je het hebt neergelegd, zodat anderen ernaar op zoek kunnen gaan...
TIP: Als je het boek op zijn reis wilt volgen, dan kun je je het beste aanmelden als nieuwe bookcrosser (www.bookcrossing.com). Het is erg leuk om erachter te komen hoe het met 'jouw' boek op z'n reis verder gaat!!
Ik zou het erg leuk vinden als je mij
chamonix44 dan opgeeft als referent. Voor Nederlandse uitleg kun je terecht op de volgende site: www.bookcrossing.nl

If you are reading here, then I want to tell you that this is a. FREE . book, and there are no catches! It is now yours! Please read on.....
If you are the finder of this book it would be nice if you could leave a message here to say that you have it. Do not worry because I don't want the book back. It is yours to keep if you want it. I just want to know it is now in safe hands.

Journal Entry 9 by KJSkye at Hengelo, Overijssel Netherlands on Monday, January 02, 2017
Thanks for the book.