Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women

by Geraldine Brooks | Nonfiction |
Registered by wingwaterfallingwing of Raleigh, North Carolina USA on 8/15/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingwaterfallingwing from Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Monday, August 15, 2011
trade-size paperback.

Journal Entry 2 by wingwaterfallingwing at Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Monday, August 15, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (8/15/2011 UTC) at Raleigh, North Carolina USA

Saw this on your Wish List. If you've already acquired a copy, please release at your discretion.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, August 21, 2011
Thanks so much, Waterfalling! Another wishlist book I'm looking forward to reading. I read Brooks' Year of Wonders several years ago, then read March a couple of years ago. I'm looking forward to reading her People of the Book (which is currently being read by a couple of friends at work), and added this nonfiction book to my wishlist recently.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Monday, June 04, 2012
Wow, what a powerful and affecting book. I've read several of Brooks' novels, and loved them all. This is the first one of her non-fictions I've read, and this was just an unforgettable experience. Brooks explains women's experiences in the Middle East, showing how different customs vary in different countries. I still don't entirely get this, but there it is. She also explains the relevance of the Koran, as it is interpreted by men and various other ways it can be interpreted. Education is key in this area, so that women can read and interpret the Koran on their own. Interesting to read how literature, music and sport have been affected by the fundamentalists. An excellent book, highly recommended.

Thanks for sharing this with me, Waterfalling. This is reserved for a non-fiction vbb.

Journal Entry 5 by wingmaryzeewing at Taneytown, Maryland USA on Monday, July 23, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (7/23/2012 UTC) at Taneytown, Maryland USA

This is off to Canada today, as requested in the non-fiction vbb. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by CynthiaA at Brantford, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Arrived today, thanks so much MaryZee, and thanks for the bits of bookcrossing labels, etc too, I can always use more of that! :o)

In a wonderful display of bookcrossing serendipity, I note that this book began with waterfalling, from whom I chose my other title in this round of the non-fiction virtual bookbox. I must like your taste in books, my friend! :o)