Pearl of China: A Novel

by Anchee Min | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1608193128 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingmathgirl40wing of Waterloo, Ontario Canada on 8/12/2011
Journal Entry 1 by wingmathgirl40wing from Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 12, 2011
Welcome to BookCrossing! This is a site for catching and releasing books for those who want to share the joy of reading. If you find this book, please leave a journal entry to let previous readers know how and where you found the book. Feel free to do this anonymously if you wish. You are welcome to keep the book, but I encourage you to pass it on and let it continue its journey.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 12, 2011
From my LibraryThing review:

Pearl of China is a fictionalized account of the friendship between Willow, the Chinese narrator of the story, and Pearl Buck. According to author Anchee Min, her aim was to depict aspects of Buck’s life, including her childhood, her life among the Chinese peasants and her relationship with poet Hsu Chih-mo, from a Chinese rather than Western perspective.

I enjoyed the story but found Anchee Min’s writing style overly simple and spare. Pearl’s words and actions are conveyed in such a detached way that we get only a superficial understanding of her character. On the other hand, Willow has the makings of a memorable character herself, but as she is primarily a vehicle for Pearl’s story, her character never gets fully developed. Nevertheless, having read The Good Earth but not knowing much about the author’s life, I found it worthwhile to read Pearl of China, as it does give insight into the context in which Buck’s great novel was created.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmathgirl40wing at Waterloo, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (8/24/2011 UTC) at Waterloo, Ontario Canada

I've put this book into a bookbox (http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/10090970/) that will be travelling across Canada.

Journal Entry 4 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, October 07, 2011
Thank you, mathgirl40! I have selected this from the Cross Canada Bookbox.

I think in junior high we read some Pearl S. Buck, but don't know anything about her. Earlier this year I did read Red Azelia, by the same author.

Thanks for organizing this and greetings from Calgary!

Journal Entry 5 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, November 12, 2014
After 3 years on Mnt. TBR, this book finally made its way to the top of the pile.

I knew nothing about Pearl Buck, so the fictionalized novel format was a great vehicle to tell her story from a Chinese perspective.

The telling of Willow's story from the time Pearl left China represents such a dark story of the Chinese Cultural Revolution, where absolute power corrupts absolutely, with such disregard for human life.

Heartbreaking, but how remarkable is human strength to be able to survive that era. Thank you for sharing this book with me.

Journal Entry 6 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (11/12/2014 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Passing on to my good friend, hovey, for her Mnt. TBR.

Journal Entry 7 by hovey at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, November 19, 2014
The first novel I ever read was The Good Earth by Pearl Buck. I was about 15 yrs old at the time but it made a big impact on me - I loved the book and it made me want to read more on the people of China.
Anchee Min's account of Pearl Buck was watery and distant - I agree with another reader in that her character was never fully developed. We only caught a glimpse of her but we do learn how passionate she was about her beloved China. And this is what the main character Willow had come to realize throughout the story. Overall I liked Pearl of China - a very good read.

Journal Entry 8 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 12, 2015
Picked up at the January meeting.

Journal Entry 9 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 10, 2018

Released 11 mos ago (11/10/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to the November meeting!

To the finder:

Journal Entry 10 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 10, 2018
Picked this up at Calgary bookcrossing meetup. Looking forward to reading this one!

Journal Entry 11 by AnnaDevika at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, September 14, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (9/14/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Controlled release at local meetup

Journal Entry 12 by wingherchellewing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, September 15, 2019
Picked up this one up today at the meetup.