@Interesting Times (Discworld Novels)

by Terry Pratchett | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by bilbi of Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on 8/5/2011
Journal Entry 1 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Friday, August 05, 2011
I'll be celebrating my 8th BC birthday on August 29th.I was introduced to Pratchett thanks to you, fellow bookcrossers !And this summer I'm reading the books I haven't read so far :-)

To tell the truth, I bought them all online... Er, don't tell my banker ;-)

So, all the books will be turned into international bookrings from September onwards...

----

ResQgeek (USA, USA)
PurplyPup (USA, USA)
Lintulai (Finland, Europe)
candy-is-dandy (UK, international)

Journal Entry 2 by PJLBewdy at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, November 03, 2011
Received from Ms bilbi as part of a TEN book package. A truly awesome feat of Bookcrossing! I cannot stress enough how impressed I am with these packages! Thank you so much! I have added a French comment in deference to your Gallic awesomeness although I fear it is only an auto-translation and as a consequence won't make sense at all.

Reçu de M. bilbi comme faisant partie d'un DIX paquet de livre. Un tour de force vraiment impressionnant de Bookcrossing! Je ne peux pas insister sur assez comment a impressionné que je suis avec ces paquets! Merci tellement! J'ai ajouté un commentaire français par déférence pour votre fait d'être impressionnant gaulois bien que je craigne que ce soit seulement une auto-traduction et n'aura pas comme conséquence du sens du tout.

Journal Entry 3 by PJLBewdy at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, November 19, 2011
Another supremely readable Pratchett. Mainly concerned with the habit of obedience in society, and of course lots of fun in the plotline.
Will send this book on its next journey soon.

Journal Entry 4 by PJLBewdy at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (11/23/2011 UTC) at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia

Off it goes to the USA on the next leg of its journey. Surface mail - hope it doesn't get seasick!

Journal Entry 5 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Tuesday, February 07, 2012
Finally arrived today! Quite the long journey but it made it safe and sound. I will read this as quickly as I can and on to the next reader. Thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Friday, April 06, 2012
Finished this book a few days ago. I really liked this one as well. Poor Rincewind...but he does seem to have the most amazing adventures. I expect to get this out with a couple other Pratchett books tomorrow to ResQgeek.

Journal Entry 7 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Saturday, April 07, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (4/7/2012 UTC) at Endicott, New York USA

Mailed off to the next reader today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, April 13, 2012
Arrived in the mail today, together with two other Discworld books and hot on the heels of two other books. I'll get to these over the next few weeks and then pass them along.

Journal Entry 9 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, May 18, 2012
Terry Pratchett introduced us to Discworld with “The Color of Magic” where we followed the adventures of the decidedly unmagical wizard Rincewind as he took on the role of tour guide for Twoflower, a tourist from the remote and isolated Counterweight Continent. Here, Pratchett turns the table and Rincewind finds himself visiting Twoflower’s homeland. He has been sent there by the wizards of Ankh-Morpork in response to a request from the Agatean Empire, which on the verge of civil war with the impending death of the Emperor. As the various factions maneuver and plot, Rincewind does the only thing he know how to do…try to stay as far away from trouble as possible. At the same time, the ancient hero, Cohen the Barbarian, and his Silver Horde of aged barbarians are also trying to use the chaos to their own advantage, and a populist “Red Army” is trying to overthrow the Empire and establish a new, collectivist government.

Combining disparate aspects of Far Eastern culture, including the Great Wall, ninjas, samurai warlords, a Forbidden City and much more, Pratchett somehow manages to condense millennia of Asian history into a single parody, from the Mogul invasions (who knew that Cohen the Barbarian’s first name was Ghenghiz?) to the Maoist revolution, with a population cultured to blind obedience and scheming lords who are extremely good at killing their victims slowly. It’s no wonder that ‘May you live in interesting times’ is a curse, not a blessing. But Rincewind already knew that…too bad that all his attempts to run away simply land him smack in the middle of it all, with typical comic results.

Journal Entry 10 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (11/21/2012 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

Okay, my daughter has been holding on to this (and a couple of other) Pratchett book, hoping to read them. After discussing it with her, it turns out that she was just having trouble getting into these, so it is time for them to move along.

Mailing these to Finland.

Journal Entry 11 by Lintulai at Lahti, Päijät-Häme / Päijänne-Tavastland Finland on Friday, December 14, 2012
The book arrived a few days ago, sorry for the delay & thanks for sending them ResQgeek!