The Angel's Game

by Carlos Ruiz Zafon | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by loveamystery of Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on 8/1/2011
Journal Entry 1 by loveamystery from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Monday, August 1, 2011
Amazon Editorial Review

From master storyteller Carlos Ruiz Zafon, author of the international phenomenon The Shadow of the Wind, comes The Angel’s Game — a dazzling new page-turner about the perilous nature of obsession, in literature and in love.

The whole of Barcelona stretched out at my feet and I wanted to believe that when I opened those windows — my new windows — each evening its streets would whisper stories to me, secrets in my ear, that I could catch on paper and narrate to whomever cared to listen…

In an abandoned mansion at the heart of Barcelona, a young man, David Martin, makes his living by writing sensationalist novels under a pseudonym. The survivor of a troubled childhood, he has taken refuge in the world of books and spends his nights spinning baroque tales about the city’s underworld. But perhaps his dark imaginings are not as strange as they seem, for in a locked room deep within the house lie photographs and letters hinting at the mysterious death of the previous owner.

Like a slow poison, the history of the place seeps into his bones as he struggles with an impossible love. Close to despair, David receives a letter from a reclusive French editor, Andreas Corelli, who makes him the offer of a lifetime. He is to write a book unlike anything that has ever existed — a book with the power to change hearts and minds. In return, he will receive a fortune, and perhaps more. But as David begins the work, he realizes that there is a connection between his haunting book and the shadows that surround his home.

Once again, Zafon takes us into a dark, gothic universe first seen in The Shadow of the Wind and creates a breathtaking adventure of intrigue, romance, and tragedy. Through a dizzyingly constructed labyrinth of secrets, the magic of books, passion, and friendship blend into a masterful story.

I had read the Shadow of the Wind and loved it, but I didn't enjoy this one as much. I found it difficult to follow and not as exciting.

Journal Entry 2 by loveamystery at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, September 18, 2011

Released 12 yrs ago (9/18/2011 UTC) at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

This book is on its way to sfrenchie who won the Mystery/Crime/Thriller and Tea sweepstakes a little while ago. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by sfrenchie at Reims, Champagne-Ardenne France on Thursday, November 17, 2011
Arrived today, as part of the Crime and Tea Sweepstake.

Thank you very much.
Having read and immensely enjoyed The Shadow of the Wind (in fact it was even my book club's favourite novel of the year), I am really looking forward to reading this.

I will write another entry when I have read it and it is ready for release.