In a Strange Room

by Damon Galgut | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by miss-jo of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on 7/28/2011
Journal Entry 1 by miss-jo from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, July 28, 2011
From the back cover:
A young man makes three journeys, that take him through Greece, India and Africa. He travels lightly, simply. To those who travel with him and those whom he meets on the way - including a handsome, enigmatic stranger, a group of careless backpackers and a woman on the edge - he is the Follower, the Lover and the Guardian. Yet, despite the man's best intentions, each journey ends in disaster. Together, these three journeys will change his life.

A novel of longing and thwarted desire, rage and compassion, In a Strange Room is an extraordinary evocation of one man's search for love and for a place to call home.

Bought for the 2010 Booker challenge. Pick your own order for the bookring participants.
Fleebo
FreePages
goodthinkingmax
jubby
tqd
livrecache

Journal Entry 2 by miss-jo at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, July 28, 2011
I bought this months and months ago (though I neglected to journal it - I vaguely remember having internet troubles at the time) and I tried to read it as soon as I got it. It's hard going, even by Booker standards

The style is very alienating to me and I only managed to get about 40 pages into it before putting it down. Having not picked it up again in 6 months, I'll send it on and wait til it comes home before I make a second attempt at it. Hopefully someone will enjoy it.

Journal Entry 3 by Fleebo at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, August 11, 2011
An odd title for a story full of travel. Referring to hotel rooms, perhaps.
Received from miss-jo, thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by jubby at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, January 11, 2018
The guilt! I’ve had this way too long.... releasing

Journal Entry 5 by jubby at Fairweather Cafe in Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Thursday, January 11, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (1/11/2018 UTC) at Fairweather Cafe in Adelaide, South Australia Australia

I’m never going to have the chance to read all the books... started this one three times...

Time for a new reader