@Equal Rites (Discworld Novels)

by Terry Pratchett | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 9780061020698 Global Overview for this book
Registered by bilbi of Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on 7/26/2011
Journal Entry 1 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Tuesday, July 26, 2011
I'll be celebrating my 8th BC birthday on August 29th.

I was introduced to Pratchett thanks to you, fellow bookcrossers !

And this summer I'm reading the books I haven't read so far :-)

To tell the truth, I bought them all online... Er, don't tell my banker ;-)

So, all the books will be turned into international bookrings from September onwards...

-----

ResQgeek (USA, USA)
PurplyPup (USA, USA)
candy-is-dandy (UK, international)
Lintulai (Finland, Europe)

Journal Entry 2 by PJLBewdy at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, November 03, 2011
Received from Miss bilbi as part of a TEN book package. A truly awesome feat of Bookcrossing! I cannot stress enough how impressed I am with these packages! Thank you so much! I have added a French comment in deference to your Gallic awesomeness although I fear it is only an auto-translation and as a consequence won't make sense at all.

Reçu de M. bilbi comme faisant partie d'un DIX paquet de livre. Un tour de force vraiment impressionnant de Bookcrossing! Je ne peux pas insister sur assez comment a impressionné que je suis avec ces paquets! Merci tellement! J'ai ajouté un commentaire français par déférence pour votre fait d'être impressionnant gaulois bien que je craigne que ce soit seulement une auto-traduction et n'aura pas comme conséquence du sens du tout.

Journal Entry 3 by PJLBewdy at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia on Monday, January 16, 2012
A fun Pratchett folly about the nature of magic. Granny Weatherwax and her young and unusually talented protege take on the entrenched male chauvinism of Unseen University.

Journal Entry 4 by PJLBewdy at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia on Monday, January 16, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (1/17/2012 UTC) at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia

Off it goes to the USA as the next leg of its travels. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 5 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Sunday, January 29, 2012
Just arrived in the mail today along with a great dolphin postcard. This'll be my 2nd Pratchett book and I'm looking forward to reading it. Got a couple ray books ahead of it but I should get to this soon. Thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Sunday, March 18, 2012
I really enjoyed this book! I've only read a couple Pratchett books but this is my favorite one so far. Very glad I had a chance to read this so thanks for including me. I have a couple of books to get moving to ResQgeek so I wil try to get them all out together shortly.

Journal Entry 7 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Saturday, April 07, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (4/7/2012 UTC) at Endicott, New York USA

Mailed off to the next reader today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, April 13, 2012
Arrived in the mail today, together with two other Discworld books and hot on the heels of two other books. I'll get to these over the next few weeks and then pass them along.

Journal Entry 9 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, July 18, 2012
On Discworld, only men become wizards, while women are always witches. At least that’s how it has always been. But now that is about to change. Wizard are able pass their powers on to the eighth son of an eighth son, but when a dying wizard finds an eighth son with seven sons, he fails to verify that the eighth child is a son before he passes his staff to the newborn. It is only after he dies that he realizes that the child is, in fact, a girl. As this girl, Esk, grows, she begins to demonstrate unusual talents, and so Granny Weatherwax, the witch, takes her in, intending to train her as a witch. However, unlike most witches, who generally only make use of magic as a last resort, Esk intends to use magic to do things, and it soon becomes clear that she needs to be trained at the Unseen University, for her own safety (not to mention those near her). The arrival of Granny and Esk at the University creates an uproar, as traditions are upset and precedents broken. In the end, Esk uses her knowledge as both a witch and a wizard, and help to explore a whole new understanding of magic and its uses.

As always, Pratchett is riffing on a theme. This time he is satirizing gender roles and the silliness that tends to grow up around them, often to great comic effect. But at the same time that he’s making us laugh, Pratchett is also providing plenty to think about. While it is true that gender roles often arise from legitimate differences between men and women, it is equally true that these roles commonly ossify into rigid social structures that place artificial limitations on people’s choices. Pratchett seems to be pointing out the need for us to recognize that both genders can benefit by cooperating and working togother.

Journal Entry 10 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (11/21/2012 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

Okay, my daughter has been holding on to this (and a couple of other) Pratchett book, hoping to read them. After discussing it with her, it turns out that she was just having trouble getting into these, so it is time for them to move along.

I contacted candy-is-dandy, who has received another copy of this and asked to be skipped, so I'm mailing this to Finland along with the others.

Journal Entry 11 by Lintulai at Lahti, Päijät-Häme / Päijänne-Tavastland Finland on Friday, December 14, 2012
The book arrived a few days ago, sorry for the delay & thanks for sending them ResQgeek!