Jemima J: A Novel About Ugly Ducklings and Swans

by Jane Green | Women's Fiction |
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 7/21/2011
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Thursday, July 21, 2011
Book Description: Yet another take on the singles scene, and from yet another British writer, this jaunty novel has one slightly new focus--the Internet as a dating device. "Bored, fat and unhappy" Jemima Jones is a hack writer on a small London paper, whose weight precludes both promotion (which she richly deserves, because she's smart) and getting together with the man of her dreams: kind, modest and gorgeous reporter Ben Williams. The Web opens a new world to Jemima, and when she begins an online correspondence with L.A. gym owner Brad, identifying herself as JJ, her friend Geraldine encourages her to send Brad a doctored photo of what she would look like if she were thin. Jemima joins a gym, goes on a diet and even becomes a blonde, preparing to accept Brad's invitation to come to L.A. Lucky JJ: Brad turns out to be a hunk, and the sex is great... but JJ senses that something is wrong. Meanwhile, Ben has become a celebrity "presenter" on British TV, but while the whole country goes gaga over his looks, he too feels that something is missing. By the time several coincidences produce a dreams-come-true ending, readers are fond of plucky Jemima, but somewhat tired out by her adventures. Green's determination to provide texture results in too many scenes that brim with London and L.A. local color, but fail to add verve to the narrative. Outside of Geraldine, who, surprisingly, is both beautiful and a true friend, the other characters tend to be stereotypes: Jemima's roommates, airheads on the make; the predatory female TV producer; the editor who offers Jemima a promotion once she is blonde and svelte. Though the concept is clever and nicely handled, the broad humor lacks true comic brio. (As the online initiated would say: it's not LOL.) Green does, however, capture the nuances and neuroses of the singles scene with a gimlet eye and an uninhibited voice. A bestseller in England, the book should also hook female readers here as they relate to Green's frank comments about body size and social acceptability.

Journal Entry 2 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, May 30, 2014
My Review: This was a great book! I'm a huge fan of Bridget Jones, so I kind of liked a character similar to her. Jemima starts out the book 100 pounds overweight with very low self esteem. She has a few friends, two very snobby roomates and a mom who doesn't think much of Jemima. She meets a man online and they have a connection. He lives in Los Angeles so she thinks there is no way they would ever meet. Unfortunately Jemima and Brad have a great connection through e-mails and phone calls and he wants to pay for an airline ticket for her to come to Los Angeles. This is the impetus for Jemima to get fit and lose weight. She joins a local gym and changes her diet drastically and loses a LOT of weight. The only thing which truly bothered me is how low Jemima's self esteem really was at the beginning. I'm overweight and although I know this, I don't go around thinking I'm less of a person than someone thin. Maybe I'm in the minority. The ending is a bit of a surprise, but I was rooting for Jemima to get the life (and love) she wants.

Saved for a bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Sunday, July 20, 2014
Putting into the 11th round of Bookstogive's General Literature VBB.

Journal Entry 4 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, April 07, 2015
This one has not been chosen for a couple of rounds in Bookstogive's General Literature VBB so I'm taking it out. This book is available.

Journal Entry 5 by JennyC1230 at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Released 5 yrs ago (4/23/2015 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Putting into Aramena's Any Genre Bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by wingheartthumperwing at Hutchinson, Kansas USA on Wednesday, May 06, 2015
Chosen from the Any Genre Book Box.

Released 3 yrs ago (7/26/2017 UTC) at Bookbox in -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Adding to the Colors Book Box.

Journal Entry 8 by wingSouthernfryedwing at Lexington, South Carolina USA on Sunday, September 03, 2017
taking out of the color book box

11/24/2017
reserved for caralisa's birthday

1/29/2018
When I started this book, I wasn't even sure I'd make it all the way through as it felt a bit dated (Our girl takes a class to learn how to use the internet and meets boy on line and there are also the words VCR and Blockbuster). But the story takes off and I could hardly put it down. Not your typical chick-lit book. It has lots of twist and turns and our girl, Jemima learns some hard lessons along the way.

Journal Entry 9 by wingSouthernfryedwing at Lexington, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Released 2 yrs ago (9/4/2018 UTC) at Lexington, South Carolina USA

Happy Birthday!

Journal Entry 10 by carelaisa at Québec, Québec Canada on Sunday, November 11, 2018
I received last month... but only got around today to registered it. It's part of Oppem's 2018 RABCK birthday group.

Thank you for sending it my way, along with everything else :)

Looking forward to read it!

Journal Entry 11 by carelaisa at Québec, Québec Canada on Sunday, March 31, 2019
I am always a bit wary when I start reading a novel by this author, and this book was no exception. It’s filled with all the clichés there is about overweight girls, falling in love with a guy that doesn’t see them, and then starting to see someone else, only to find out that they’ve been played. And at the end, they get the guy they always wanted… because they lost some weight. Yep, that sums up this novel. It was funny to read as I could see all the clichés, but at the same time, I wondered if the author could have brought it up a notch up. Who knows? Overall, it was an okay read.

Journal Entry 12 by carelaisa at RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 22, 2020

Released 11 mos ago (3/22/2020 UTC) at RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Sent as part of the 2020 OPPEM Birthday Group.

Hope everything will be liked!

Journal Entry 13 by wingLittleWhiteBirdwing at Pasadena, California USA on Sunday, April 19, 2020
Thank you, carelaisa, for sending this book for my birthday. I’m wondering whether you chose it because of it’s subtitle: a novel about ugly ducklings and swans.